Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

I have been thinking about the fan clutch(side radiator)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

newmarokie

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4018
RV Length
40'
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
450 hp Cummins
TOW/TOAD
3017 Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I was cruising down the road and got to thinking about the fan clutch/gear box design. I wonder if Cummings engineering has been questioned about putting a clutch on the accessory drive pulley that powers the gear box/fan assembly? It seems that if a strong enough clutch assembly could be had, you could use a direct drive fan and the gear box would only be used when needed. Wouldn't this drastically reduce wear and tear on the gear box?

Actually it's not Cummins issue because it's the chassis manufacturer. On K2s Spartan uses hydraulic driven fans and on K3s mechanical driven. FLs use mechanical driven on both.
At the Hershey show in 2019 I asked a Spartan Tech why the K2 had the hydraulic driven but the K3 didn't and he couldn't answer....
Your clutch comment IDN

JRS,
I visited with my BIL last night. He is a hydraulic/electrical technician with a large equipment manufacturer. Specifically we talked about mechanical vs. hydraulic fan drives. He said they typically run mechanical drive fans if they can. You lose approximately 8-10% of available HP on a mechanical fan. A hydraulic fan robs 18-20% of HP. The mechanical is typically cheaper to buy and install as compared to hydraulic. So the determining factor is 1st:) space considerations. 2nd :) available HP. He thought the accessory drive replacement to a mag fan clutch would be doable. The conversion cost would be comparable existing fan replacement(Machined hub faces). Now the drawback would be you have to carry a replacement clutch in your spares bin. It would not be something you could get locally.

Wonder why the chassis folks have not adopted electric fans. Seems HP loss & maintenance items would go away. Technology seems to be proven with use on autos for years and I believe Newell and Prevost conversions also use electric. Perhaps there is a significant cost??

Me and BIL talked about that last night as well. The amount of air needed to be moved would take to large of an electric motor. Now why you can use an electric fan on pickups and cars and not this application I am not sure. You could be right on cost. Part of it would be the orientation of the radiator. I have driven many trucks with air clutches, but not electric

When I was regularly servicing class 8 trucks, an air clutch was often employed for the cooling fan. Such a design would be easy to implement on a class A RV, someone just has to want to. Hydraulic fans are heavy, expensive, leak prone and add many more unnecessary failure points, plus they generate heat that mechanical systems do not. Electric fans are expensive for something kinda powerful and can't quite compete for air volume moved vs. a mechanical fan, plus they put considerable load on the alternator & batteries.

Latest resources

Back