• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Ice in black tank

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Lol!! If your going to try this and use the ice from the home ice maker, make sure the wife isn't home!! And yes, I don't think my maceration toilet would enjoy that ice to much!!

Ice is cheap, No harm done, very little time spent. I was told this method by an old long gone friend. I am going to get to try it out as the camper we purchased has the beginning of a poo pyramid and the sensors don't work. Will report success or failure.
In case you are wondering (this may not be news....) that pyramid is from leaving the black tank valve open while hooked up to a sewer connection. This allows the liquids to outrun the solids, leaving the solids to build up into said pyramid. Much better to leave the valve closed and dump periodically. Same with grey but for a different reason: this gives you a lot of realtively clean and soapy water to rinse the dump hose after you dump the black.

As for ice, Im more in the strong detergent camp (but I also have a macerator toilet). Ill often drop a laundry soap pod in with my tank treatment pod and several gallons of water when driving to do the extra clean-up duty. Cascade (or any dishwasher soap) sounds good too because its a stronger detergent.

Yes, I am aware but bought the camper used late last year and only used it once. The pyramid is already there. I would have taken care of it on the way back from Eastern Maine, as the roads down until Maryland are atrocious any time of year. It certainly would have been shaken not stirred. Round ice cubes would have worked in Massachusetts. I was not aware or up to speed when we left, or it would have got something to swirl around for 2 days.

Well now we have been using ice. We usually put in two bags on our way home from a camping trip. After my wife and I watched the video we decided to change to the soaking process that Neal suggested. Learn some thing new every day.

Why not ice and some detergent? Has the ice been working? I find that the video's can be deceptive. Like his video's, but still will try both methods with a poo pyramid that is old and entrenched. Patience will be a key factor.

Why not ice and some detergent? Has the ice been working? I find that the video's can be deceptive. Like his video's, but still will try both methods with a poo pyramid that is old and entrenched. Patience will be a key factor.
I laughed

I just want ice in my cocktail.

Yes, leave the dump valve closed, even with sewer hookups, and dump as needed. The water in the tank will break down the poo pyramid over a few hours.

Yes, I am aware but bought the camper used late last year and only used it once. The pyramid is already there. I would have taken care of it on the way back from Eastern Maine, as the roads down until Maryland are atrocious any time of year. It certainly would have been shaken not stirred. Round ice cubes would have worked in Massachusetts. I was not aware or up to speed when we left, or it would have got something to swirl around for 2 days.

If there is a already an issue then just pay to get it professionally cleaned and then take proper care of your tanks and you are good to go.

If you don't want to pay, then fill that bad boy all the way up and let it soak with a good additive like Unique rv holding tank cleaner (I have no affiliation with them).

We put the waist ice in the toilet but to just have some water in the black tank. i put some in there from our ice maker when we are unloading back at home. I don't think the actual cube is doing anything. Our MH sets still in the storage building for a couple weeks between uses. Having a drained or potentially dry black tack does not seem like a good idea.
We also have a tank flush connection that allows fresh water to be sprayed in when draining the tank. By the looks of the clear coupler on the drain hose, it seems to do a good job.
Ken

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back