• Commercial/Vendors welcome

If Facebook listening to phone calls?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I was on a hike the other day and we were talking about a camera cheat sheet. I was using my phone in addition to a "real" camera to take photos. By the time I got back from my hike to my coach, I was relaxing and checking out FB and behold, look what was on my page.

DCBCD7CB-3B19-4FFD-A8AF-75A975D8C4C1.jpeg

Hubs and I tested that last year....we were in the car and had an iphone and an android on. We spoke about Disney world, how fun it would be, taking the Grands and such. We checked later and had no ads, nothing about Disney. Guess we were not that important to be listened to at that time.

Oh...they are most definitely listening. Too many "coincidences" to be random ?

A couple of ours have been:

Talking about my wife's upcoming knee surgery and "whalla" we had ADs for knee braces

Talking about a jet boat ride in Idaho and "again" we had ADs for Hell's Canyon Jet Boat rides

NOT coincidences...

As a software developer I'm a little baffled on this one. Yes, I have Amazon Alexas in my RV, I have iPads, an iPhone, and computers. This morning I had a phone discussion with my mother and I brought up Elli's having a problem with allergies and I was considering giving her a children's Benadryl I keep in the RV for her. I have not googled anything related to "children's Benadryl" I simply discussed it on the phone.

This afternoon I was scrolling through Facebook on my iPhone and I see the ad below. Some explain to me HOW! It leads me to believe Facebook is listening somewhere and somehow.

It would not surprise me one bit.

When you go to a site on your computer, say a bank, etc. watch the sites that pop up on the bottom as the browser goes to the site. Yup, you will often see Facebook. They are collecting and correlating information from everything we do. Any pictures of us from Facebook or anywhere online are correlated into facial recognition data. There is nowhere to hide. We are well beyond “1984”.

As a software developer I'm a little baffled on this one. Yes, I have Amazon Alexas in my RV, I have iPads, an iPhone, and computers. This morning I had a phone discussion with my mother and I brought up Elli's having a problem with allergies and I was considering giving her a children's Benadryl I keep in the RV for her. I have not googled anything related to "children's Benadryl" I simply discussed it on the phone.

This afternoon I was scrolling through Facebook on my iPhone and I see the ad below. Some explain to me HOW! It leads me to believe Facebook is listening somewhere and somehow.

This is why I never have and never will have one of those things in my home. I don't even do speak texting and very careful about what I say on phone calls. They are watching us.

I walked in from the garage and told my wife I couldn’t change her car’s oil for lack of a filter. Only device in the room was my iPhone, in my pocket. I went to the computer to place an order and immediately had an ad for an oil filter, specific to her car! No makes or models were discussed, just “your car.”

I walked in from the garage and told my wife I couldn’t change her car’s oil for lack of a filter. Only device in the room was my iPhone, in my pocket. I went to the computer to place an order and immediately had an ad for an oil filter, specific to her car! No makes or models were discussed, just “your car.”
Scary! I've heard so many stories like that. I keep lots of things turned off unless I need to use them. Never do updates on devices unless something's not working. (even when they bug you about it) Most important, recheck all your privacy settings after an update. And NEVER use the cloud! I might just start keeping my phone in the toilet bowl:unsure:

When you go to a site on your computer, say a bank, etc. watch the sites that pop up on the bottom as the browser goes to the site. Yup, you will often see Facebook. They are collecting and correlating information from everything we do. Any pictures of us from Facebook or anywhere online are correlated into facial recognition data. There is nowhere to hide. We are well beyond “1984”.
Years ago when I thought Facebook might be fun to connect with friends and family, I started signing up and it immediately started propagating all my e mail contacts. That was enough for me. Backed away and never went back. Google yourself sometime and see what everyone else know about you. My file is pretty empty. (Thank God) We have a work rule around my business. "Security through obscurity" It works pretty well.

Latest resources

Back