• Commercial/Vendors welcome

If Facebook listening to phone calls?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The problem is, we really don't know. We've given access to our microphone probably with Facebook Messenger use as well as Google search to enable the voice commands there. Who's to say Facebook is not listening or even recording our phone calls? Apple does the best with privacy and now has indicators showing when things like video or microphone are being used but when your phone is up to your face, how would you know? And yes, your mic is being used during a phone call but by who? I highly doubt Apple would grant access to the mic during a phone call so the above is likely correct but the gist is I wouldn't put it past Facebook or even Google (whom I trust one notch less than Facebook) to be listening to phone calls. Apple is taking major steps starting with iOS 14.5 to shutdown Facebook's practices, which is great. It only gets better with iOS 15 and hope they continue. Damn near need to short $FB next earnings as I'm sure their advertising will take a huge hit this quarter with iOS 14.5's privacy actions against Facebook advertising practices and data mining their users.

Android used to be more secure. This is no longer true. They have allowed providers to side load crap ware that bypasses security and is designed to spy.

IOS 14.5 is not any better. It just makes sure that only apple can spy.

Smart phones are not secure.

People always call me crazy but .... yes If you have ever signed into Facebook with your phone with the Facebook app, they are listening. Same with Amazon and Google. That is why I do not have these apps on my phone. In fact I do not use Facebook on my phone at all.

Here is some interesting new tech from Amazon

Last edited:
Apple, Google, facebook, and Amazon are in a war to get the best data from you. They want you to freely give them direct access to your thoughts and intentions so that they can monetize it.

I am looking for a shipping container. I can no longer search the internet because the fraudsters have absorbed the keywords and feeds and every option is a scam. Some are so good at it I almost fell for it. The light bulb moment was once we agreed on price etc, the payment methods listed, of which there are 14, are all methods that have no consumer protection. They are also methods legitimate business would never use. Zelle, Google pay, bit coin, wire transfer, etc. This is for a $2200 transaction.

All of this started when I made a phone call to a local company and they where out of stock. My Gmail showed an ad for the container, which I did not click. My Facebook showed one that a friend recommended..and I clicked that. Turns out my friend did not recommend it, that was fake. Now every Google search is all ads and all scams.

This happens with so many items it makes buying off the internet very challenging. Amazon marketplace is flooded with knock off Chinese product that is fake. For example, I am buying a richbit ebike. It's a 1000w 48v. Cost is $1900 direct from richbit. With the group order we are getting it for $920.

We discussed this via text message. I use signal, but most of the group uses standard sms apps, so the conversation was not encrypted.

My Amazon suggestions now include several ebikes, and Facebook has ads for 1000w ebikes for under $200. Obvious scam, and derived from sms.

The intrusion into our lives is ridiculous. Now use a VPN and use private browsing mode. This has helped some.
Of course, no Alexa, no Siri or any other listening service.
Yes, I have to type every search and cannot just verbally ask, but we have more sense of privacy.

Wasn't aware that SMS is now being captured too.

Carrier sms has been harvested for years. It's why they do so little to block Robocalls

Check out the docu-drama on Netflix. "The Great Hack". It gets into the nuts and bolts on how it all happens. Between Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc, they know more about you than your lifelong neighbors.

Happened to us. We have Verizon cell service. My wife wanted to stop by a Verizon store 15 minutes from our house. After looking over what she decided she wanted to wait a few days and see if it came up on sale for the 4th. We went straight home and had a spam call saying they were from Amazon and an iPad had been pushed on her account. Then several popup ad's on face book ads popped up about iPads. All because they entered her cell number at the store so they would she was shopping.

I'm convinced if you have iphones then they are tracking and listening for commercial purposes. Over the past couple of years there have been numerous times where the DW and I have discussed something and the next time she is on her ipad or I sign on to my computer those are the ads that will pop up. We have all the correct privacy settings on our phones but I don't think it makes any difference.

If you want to keep "them" out of your private life:
1. only use a disposable phone and get a new one every couple of months.
2. don't have a ipad or computer, only use a public access one when needed.
3. use cash for most of your purchases.

Latest resources

Back