Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

If my husband thinks he’s gonna win this argument, he’s got another THINK coming

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I got curious why people would insist on using "thing". Found this on Merriam-Webster:
"In summary: Another think coming is the older of the two, dating in use to the mid-19th century, and originated in British English. Another thing coming appears to have come about in American English several decades later, probably as a result of confusion regarding the original phrase. Another thing is the more recent turn of phrase and now is more common, though it is frequently criticized."

So in written literature it was always originally "think" but in conversation people misheard it as "thing" and kind of ran with that. I like the original "think" as I believe it contextually makes more sense. But given how flexible Americanized English is you can make a good case that both are correct and neither wrong, just personal preference.

I got curious why people would insist on using "thing". Found this on Merriam-Webster:
"In summary: Another think coming is the older of the two, dating in use to the mid-19th century, and originated in British English. Another thing coming appears to have come about in American English several decades later, probably as a result of confusion regarding the original phrase. Another thing is the more recent turn of phrase and now is more common, though it is frequently criticized."

So in written literature it was always originally "think" but in conversation people misheard it as "thing" and kind of ran with that. I like the original "think" as I believe it contextually makes more sense. But given how flexible Americanized English is you can make a good case that both are correct and neither wrong, just personal preference.
I'll usually side with American English is wrong and British English is correct.

Which now makes me curious why a British band used it incorrectly.

British vs American
Jumper vs sweater
Bonnet vs hood
Color vs colour
Flat vs apartment
Aeroplane vs airplane
Pram vs baby carriage
Rounders vs baseball
Football vs soccer
Crisps vs chips
Torch vs flashlight

As an American, I will stick with the American version, “thing”. Though I have had British bosses for the past 5 years and enjoy some of the syntax differences.

Can't believe this has gone on this long!!!

Because it has, thought I might add a twist!!!

How many of you have broken down the meaning of spelling?

A clue!!! The word is shortened from two words!!!

British vs American
Jumper vs sweater
Bonnet vs hood
Color vs colour
Flat vs apartment
Aeroplane vs airplane
Pram vs baby carriage
Rounders vs baseball
Football vs soccer
Crisps vs chips
Torch vs flashlight

As an American, I will stick with the American version, “thing”. Though I have had British bosses for the past 5 years and enjoy some of the syntax differences.
Tyres
Petrol vs gasoline

The Brits do use "bitumen" incorrectly, though.

Latest resources

Back