• Commercial/Vendors welcome

If you have a pre-2011 DP in Ca you may be getting one of these:

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
When we lived in a county NV that required a smog test they didn't actually do a "smog test".
All they did was plug into the OBD port and see that the emission system was working correctly. They didn't actually use the "sniffer" in the exhaust pipe like they did in the past.
I don't see what the big problem is with needing to have an emission test for registration.

When we lived in a county NV that required a smog test they didn't actually do a "smog test".
All they did was plug into the OBD port and see that the emission system was working correctly. They didn't actually use the "sniffer" in the exhaust pipe like they did in the past.
I don't see what the big problem is with needing to have an emission test for registration.
It's all about intent!!!

I read through most of the info on the website, which was difficult because it was turning my stomach, and I’m still not sure what it means to owners of compliant vehicles. It seems we’ll have to pay a “compliance fee” (lovely euphemism) and have to start getting the coach smog checked every two years. But I just registered mine and haven’t seen any evidence of that. Yet. According to the “guidance” (another lovely euphemism) all heavy duty diesel trucks, busses, and motorhomes will be affected.
Rich, I am dealing with this as well. It was a complete surprise to me when I received the non CARB compliant back from DMV.
So did you say that you did go through the arb.ca.gov/cleantruckercheck site and register your RV and received clearance or your CA registration? What year is your engine? Or, did you register it out of state?
I have also read through much of the jargon on a few different sites and from what I understand RVs are exempt. Rvs registered out of state can visit CA unrestricted. RVs registered in CA must register through the above site but must then have a Clean Truck CARB check, or something like that, annually. Interestingly, I can not seem to even find a single one of these places that perform these test to try to get more info. Not sure they even exist yet.
Check out the attachment. From what I understand, if you are not exempt this is what you are dealing with. In CA no mater where your vehicle is register, if you have and engine from 2010 or earlier it needs to be replaced.
I also read that when registering your RV on the ca.gov site that you need to put in, not only, a s... load of info, but photos of the inside of the coach to proof its a recreational vehical?
Thanks for your feed back

Attachments

• Photo of Replacement guide.jpg
    Photo of Replacement guide.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 16
Rich, I am dealing with this as well. It was a complete surprise to me when I received the non CARB compliant back from DMV.
So did you say that you did go through the arb.ca.gov/cleantruckercheck site and register your RV and received clearance or your CA registration? What year is your engine? Or, did you register it out of state?
I have also read through much of the jargon on a few different sites and from what I understand RVs are exempt. Rvs registered out of state can visit CA unrestricted. RVs registered in CA must register through the above site but must then have a Clean Truck CARB check, or something like that, annually. Interestingly, I can not seem to even find a single one of these places that perform these test to try to get more info. Not sure they even exist yet.
Check out the attachment. From what I understand, if you are not exempt this is what you are dealing with. In CA no mater where your vehicle is register, if you have and engine from 2010 or earlier it needs to be replaced.
I also read that when registering your RV on the ca.gov site that you need to put in, not only, a s... load of info, but photos of the inside of the coach to proof its a recreational vehical?
Thanks for your feed back
I posted this because I knew people with pre 2011 coaches in Ca would be interedsted. I have a 2016 and so I don’t have any personal experience and I will not be voluntarily registering or sharing info. I just paid my registration this year ($930) and there was no mention of this for my renewal so I’m not going to bring it up with them.

I did see one section of one of the pages on the dmv site for this that listed qualified test locations but I didn’t look into it further. I will now. As for the 2010 and earlier engines, the engine wouldn’t need to be replaced but they would require retro-fitting a current emissions system which would seem to be a DOC/DPF/SCR with DEF. And that is a very expensive proposition. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. They don't require older cars to meet current standards so I don’t see how they can do that to motorhomes.

Edit: Here’s the page for certified test locations: Available for Hire Credentialed Testers | California Air Resources Board

Edit #2: I just looked at the image you posted - that is ugly! I can’t see how they can do that to existing owners residing here. I can see not allowing newly purchased older coaches to be registered here, but this (repower or replace the vehicle) doesn’t even legal. Since we don’t get political here, I’ll leave it at that.

I still don't see where you would have to do anything other than have a yearly or bi-annual emissions test.

I still don't see where you would have to do anything other than have a yearly or bi-annual emissions test.
Unless you have a pre-2011 diesel.

Needing the smog test for registration is not a big deal in itself. The issue comes with the testing facilities: The vast majority of testing facilities here in the SF Bay Area of California can handle cars and trucks, but facilities are few and far between that will take a motorhome. The ones that do charge about $40 for a car, and $125 for a motorhome, for the same testing.

Needing the smog test for registration is not a big deal in itself. The issue comes with the testing facilities: The vast majority of testing facilities here in the SF Bay Area of California can handle cars and trucks, but facilities are few and far between that will take a motorhome. The ones that do charge about $40 for a car, and $125 for a motorhome, for the same testing.
it is a big deal if you have a pre-2011 diesel coach because it wont pass. They have no SCR/DEF systems. And retrofitting them is a very big deal. And if its pre-2008 diesel coach it won’t have a DPF or DOC either which would leave only two choices - register out of state or retro fit and that isn’t really an option for older coaches.

it is a big deal if you have a pre-2011 diesel coach because it wont pass. They have no SCR/DEF systems. And retrofitting them is a very big deal. And if its pre-2008 diesel coach it won’t have a DPF or DOC either which would leave only two choices - register out of state or retro fit and that isn’t really an option for older coaches.
Yup - I agree. One thing that helped us switch from a 1999 Ford F450 towing a large fifth wheel to a gas motorhome was the requirement to retrofit our Ford to satisfy the CARB - we were looking at 5 figures to get that well-running PowerStroke engine legal.Our next step is to move out of California so we no longer have to spend over $100 for the same testing that costs $40 with our Jeeps.

Latest resources

Back