• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip If you just need a way to accomplish simple desk top tasks

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Here is a way to avoid using your phone for these tasks. Here is a simple computer in a keyboard. Can easily be used for basic internet and PC tasks. Buy a Raspberry Pi 400 Personal Computer Kit – Raspberry Pi
To much work! I have a Pi for hobby but use Chromebooks for everything computer related. Least costly was my $160 Lenovo. It has Linux beta so I can use it with Linux apts, as well as android apps. All in one you could say. My samsung Pro chromebook also has Linux beta now so one is only used for banking the other is used for everything else.

One of my projects is to De Google one of my 'spare' Android phones. Tried to Root the phone unsuccessfully. Trying not to brick it:)

When doing programming of things like Remote systems, ya need a base Windows OS...puke. So, I used be cheapest laptop from Best Buy for $200. It had the “S” version which I disabled. It worked just “ok” but got the job done. I returned it because it’s just a underpowered piece of stuff to store.

What DOES intrigue me, is the little PC STICK that you can get dirt cheap. All ya do is plug it into your TV and use a little foldable Bluetooth keyboard. I borrowed one and geez...it worked pretty dang well. All for under a hundred bucks.

I love these RPis. I have several of them in the coach. I have one RPi 4 setup a NAS with an external HDD and another as a Kodi media player, although I've found that I load the Kodi app on my Fire stick so I now have another one to repurpose.

When doing programming of things like Remote systems, ya need a base Windows OS...puke. So, I used be cheapest laptop from Best Buy for $200. It had the “S” version which I disabled. It worked just “ok” but got the job done. I returned it because it’s just a underpowered piece of stuff to store.
@CaptainGizmo Guess I am lucky not still in the market place. If I can't do it in Linux I don't do it. I hear, but don't care, you can use windows in a sandbox (linux beta VM). I have done video on the Chromebook in linux but the speed... I plan for an all night unattended. I know that most open source is not polished but much more secure than The Bill Gates Virus.

One of my projects is to De Google one of my 'spare' Android phones. Tried to Root the phone unsuccessfully. Trying not to brick it:)
Hey @Joe Goodxrvn Why a de-googled phone? I got a flip phone the other day for I think the same reason. I can receive calls anytime on it and not have to worry about much with it. I have an S10e that the google app is turned off. I use it to connect to the outside world via Linux in a sandbox on my Chromebook. The rest of the time it is in a Faraday cage.

From what I hear Google will likely be seized in a month or two, so hang in there the spying will stop.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back