• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Induction cooktop experiences

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'll chime in :) It does a good job, obviously you have to have compatible cookware. I really like my new All-Clad cookware. But these dual burner induction cooktops have a quirk in that you cannot run both burners on max (level 10). So what I do for example is boil water on level 10, then once it reaches boil the second burner is turned on to heat sauce (Spaghetti obviously I'm discussing, what else do you eat??) and you'll see the level 10 burner come down to 5 I believe. You can raise it to 7 and the other burner will go to 3, i.e. a sum total of 10. However, even at level 3 it gets very hot, it's very effective. But just note the 120V dual induction cooktops have this quirk. Before I got my coach, in the spirit of my hoarding tendencies, I bought additional single burner cooktops but sold them as I never used them.
Yea, my wife does something similar. It's the shame of the 110v induction, I think they would be assume if both could go to 10 at the same time. I did a test of a counter top, single burner induction vs. our Thermador, high output gas burner, and the induction boiled water in half the time (might have been even more of a difference than half). Trying to talk my wife into getting induction at home next time, but she's set on gas and says having water boil faster isn't a big deal. Boo.

I love Le Creuset, but boy is it heavy for coach use.
I was going to write the same thing. LOL. Except I do travel with my Le Creuset Small Dutch Oven. I can't make stew without it.

Trying to talk my wife into getting induction at home next time, but she's set on gas and says having water boil faster isn't a big deal. Boo.
Hahahah. I had a Thermador in my house too and it's true water boils faster on an induction cooktop, but I'm with your wife all the way!

I like induction but like others say, it takes some getting used to. You definitely want induction-compatible cookware to use but what is most challenging is having only two burners. Planning in advance is a must. I would say without hesitation get a portable grill as that comes in handy. I am sure your cooking consultant @Neal can help you with some {cough cough} inexpensive suggestions. The beauty of Newmar is you can move the cooktop outside if you want.

I was going to write the same thing. LOL. Except I do travel with my Le Creuset Small Dutch Oven. I can't make stew without it.
If I were full time, would do the same. I have a lot of soups, chili, green chili stew, made at home, then frozen as flat as possible in ziplock bags. We are moving a lot, and make ahead stuff that freezes well is often appreciated.

Definitely a learning curve. But, now that my wife (the chef) has figured it out, she likes it. She's even talking about replacing our flat top electric at home with induction when the time comes.

About cookware. There was a discussion on another forum about someone who hated their induction in their RV. After they took someones advice and switched out their pans that were some no name cheap set and went to a quality set, they found out what the problem was!

Not saying you need Le Creuset (my wife loves hers and packs one in the MH), but stick with name brands at a reasonable cost.

We (actually Gail) are practicing on a Duxtop single burner to see what works. Neal, thanks for the detail on power quirks.

Thinking about a

Heat Diffuser Stainless Steel Induction Diffuser Plate​

so we can use our non induction pots with the RV induction cooktop.

Amazon product ASIN B07QMNHB5F
I have seen this. How well does it work?

I have a single burner for cooking outside, though I have only used it inside the coach.
I have cooked a few things on the new one at home. Something already scratched it. They don’t seem to be durable, and it doesn’t look like I will be able to use my cast iron skillet. look like. I favor thr ruuged old gas or electric burners.

We like ours. Use a set of Magna's, a Ninja Frying Pan (which is great) and an iron frying pan (much less frequently...

I have seen this. How well does it work?

I have a single burner for cooking outside, though I have only used it inside the coach.
I have cooked a few things on the new one at home. Something already scratched it. They don’t seem to be durable, and it doesn’t look like I will be able to use my cast iron skillet. look like. I favor thr ruuged old gas or electric burners.
You can use cast iron on an inductive cook top, I know first hand!
If a magnet sticks to it it is usable.

Pot handles stay cool.
Kitchen stays cooler than the other options.

Dislikes:
When you change the temperature while cooking, things stick, "yes they do", and my induction cook top regulates temperature by turn the coil off and on!!! See where I'm going with this? Some things are not suited to cook on one.

You can use cast iron on an inductive cook top, I know first hand!
If a magnet sticks to it it is usable.

Pot handles stay cool.
Kitchen stays cooler than the other options.

Dislikes:
When you change the temperature while cooking, things stick, "yes they do", and my induction cook top regulates temperature by turn the coil off and on!!! See where I'm going with this? Some things are not suited to cook on one.
Mine is a little rough on the bottom. I was afraid it would scratch the surface.

Latest resources

Back