• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Industry quality?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I think vehicle quality is better than ever. In my early days of the 60's you were lucky to get 100,000 miles without major repairs. Points and plugs replaced every 30k. Carbs rebuilt every 40k. Common rattles and poor fit of body and interior panels. Tire quality was very bad.
We may not be able to work on our vehicles anymore because of their complexity but they don't need repairs near as often.
It's too bad the rv industry didn't follow suit.
Maybe. Maybe not. My grandfather's 1985 Dodge Ram ran for 30 years without needing major powertrain repairs. No other Dodge in our family since then has gone even half that long and I wouldn't have confidence that a new one would either.

Too often we as buyers are found to make decisions based on (a) price and (b) features and (c) glitz and glamor. One can look at these three as corners of a triangle. The sides can be stretched or shortened but still, it remains a triangle. I think we can all agree, the COVID issue has impacted the world economy. We are now seeing the delayed results of that event. In 10 years, if anyone is still left, it should be better.

Bob

A more pessimistic view would be: Now that the RV industry has seen the level of "quality" they can get away with, what is going to motivate the industry as a whole to improve?

The RV industry is seeing the individual small company in the rear view. The large number of brands is an illusion.
99% of the brands are owned by large corporations such as Thor, Forest River, and Winnebago.

("99%" is obviously hyperbole to make the point.)

Last edited:
99% of the brands are owned by large corporations such as Thor, Forest River, and Winnebago.
(some brands listed below are in related markets - such as buses or boats - rather than RVs per se)

Thor:
  • Airstream
  • Heartland RV
  • Hymer
  • Dutchmen
  • Jayco
  • Starcraft (owned by Jayco before they purchased Jayco)
  • Keystone RV
  • Thor Motor Coach (a consolidation of Four Winds International & Damon Motor Coach)
  • Crossroads RV
  • K-Z
  • Redwood RV (a subsidiary of Crossroads RV)
  • Postle Aluminum (An aluminum manufacturer)
  • Tiffin (most recently purchased in 2020)
Winnebago:
  • Winnebago
  • Grand Design RV
  • Chris-Craft
  • Newmar
Forest River:
  • Coachmen RV
  • Dynamax Corporation
  • East To West travel trailers
  • Forest River RV
  • Palomino
  • Prime Time Manufacturing
  • Shasta RV
  • US Cargo
  • Elkhart Coach
  • Berkshire Coach
  • Champion Bus
  • El Dorado Motor Corp.
REV Group:
  • American Coach
  • Fleetwood Enterprises
  • Monaco Coach
  • Holiday Rambler
  • Renegade RV
  • Midwest Automotive Designs
  • Lance Camper

Ok, this might be the wrong place for this but what's not garbage in the 22-25' TT range? I went to camping world with the family on Sunday and we were blessed there was no salesman available so we just ran around for 2 hours looking at everything. Starting on the used lot, most weren't more than 2 years old and predominantly had most of the new look, feel & smell intact. The new lot was much the same but looking past all the fancy stuff, many struck me as not really built that well. I'd rather buy used from a private seller disclosing known problems that I can fix correctly (well within my wheelhouse) vs. new at a significantly higher price with hidden problems built in.

Maybe. Maybe not. My grandfather's 1985 Dodge Ram ran for 30 years without needing major powertrain repairs. No other Dodge in our family since then has gone even half that long and I wouldn't have confidence that a new one would either.
My grandfather's Plymouth 60' model was retired in the 80's. The point to be made however was it was retired with less than 90 grand on it.
My 16 RAM has 105 grand on it. Somehow years mean little unless we talk people. Oh and I expect it will go 300 grand and I tow.

As has been demonstrated on this board over the past few years, quality is in the eye of the beholder. I may be satisfied with a coach that another may think is seriously lacking.

Quality can be measured too, by a number of different metrics. I'm very interested if any such organizations exist specifically revolving around RV/TT manufacturers and keep tabs on some metric, be it warranty, quantifiable customer satisfaction or ??

Sadly no there isn't. Forums full of irate or satisfied owners is about it. Mostly, they use the same exact appliances. These are unchanged for the most part for many years. There are a few new technologies showing up. So quality is generally about build style and execution. This is where almost all complaints come from. The workers are pushing for speed and execution is sacrificed for quota. You can't blame the workers when they are paid for 8 hours after 4 if they have met the days quota, then go next door and do it again for a double payday in 8 hours. It incentivizes "Send it" as we learned.

Is it generally accepted that the build quality has declined for all manufacturers during the pademic?
I have only purchased two travel trailers new (my first one was used), and from that small scope of an experience I can say the cheaper travel trailer I purchased in 2008 was built with greater quality than the more expensive one I bought in 2021. The first was a 17ft trailer, no frills that slept 5 with a queen bed which turned into a dinette and two bunk beds. Other than doing a little caulking here and there it was a great trailer and we did a lot of trips in it without any issues for several years all accross the US. In 2021 I bought a new trailer which looked superior with more amenities, it was 21ft rather than 17ft, slept the same, but just looked a lot nicer, had more cabinet space and was still a lite series easy to pull, but I have had to fix a lot of stuff on it, for example: the door wouldn't open after driving in the sun because it was fitted too tightly (had to remove the striker, grind it down so it would not catch the latch once the metal expanded and reinstall), the GFCI outlet quit working on the first trip and started blinking red (dealer reaplaced it under warranty), one of the wheel wells was missing sealer for about 14 inches and you could see a 1 inch gap where water could just come up into the travel trailer if you went through a puddle, cabinets appeared to be caulked with mud, that you would use for sheetrock, and not only did it look horrible, but pieces were falling off while driving down the road, door trim for the bathroom fell off after the first few trips and it wasn't cut to proper length, ceiling trim fell off after a few more, the refrigerator door fell off when I openend a few trips ago, the sewage pipe was held by a thin metal strap which broke and dropped the pipe down about an inch off the ground during the first trip as well, the sealer on the roof was cracked and large chunks were missing in several areas which I had to reseal, the sheet metal screws at the base of all the siding outside backed out (lost some of them), so I added silicone and reinstalled them to make sure they didn't back out again, and I will stop there, but there is more. So between the two trailers I have purchased, there was a vast difference in build quality when considering my 2008 trailer versus my 2022 model trailer, although they were purchased from the same RV dealer (the components in the new travel trailer are fantastic, but the quality of how they built and installed them in the trailer is lacking). I am happy with the new trailer, but being new I didn't expect to put in the amount of work I have had to do, its great now that all the bugs are worked out though.

As they say about vehicle maintenance........pay me now or pay me later. I was taught to be very meticulous with regard to all maintenance. I follow the book and either do it myself or have it done. Today's vehicles are too much of an investment to ignore maintenance. Expect to drive one for 10 to 15 years and it can be totally trouble-free if properly maintained.

Bob

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back