• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Industry quality?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I think some of us are to blame for the cheap materials in our RV'S. We want lighter weight for better fuel mileage which usually means cheaper materials.
The best rv I ever owned was a Great Divide. 28 feet and 7500# empty. All solid wood and built like a tank. Took an HD pickup to tow it. They went out of business in the late 70's or early 80's because they refused to build junk to compete in the market.
Or the economy tanked as I recall. First businesses to go are non-essential.

Here is a common problem. As the owner goes through the “Discovery “ process he uncovers many of the issues with the “cheap” TT builder’s products. A few big players all deny any responsibility. I think we have all been here at one point or another.

Here is a common problem. As the owner goes through the “Discovery “ process he uncovers many of the issues with the “cheap” TT builder’s products. A few big players all deny any responsibility. I think we have all been here at one point or another.

Thanks Joe! I have an Alpinelite 84'. I have never heard bad about the trailers made in those early years. The quality of my structure is exceptional, both build and fit, and this I say for a rig, what?, 38 years old!
What was analyzed as the company's demise was the switch of trailer frames. Although they corrected their mistake when it became an issue, the damage to the brand was the downfall.

In '22 we lost Lazy Daze as well, quality Class C motorhomes as far as I know. They were priced reasonable, we were going to pull the trigger on one and then....voom...shut down..

Over a 40 year span I have owned many types of RV's from cheap and old, to expensive new units. I have found from this experience the RV industry as a whole is very much lacking in product dependably. They can assemble parts to look good and function but not reliably. "You get what you pay" for is a myth in this industry. A $1,600 1968 Ford campervan with simply a propane cooktop and heater was the least problematic and my $125K self contined Tiger RV was the most. That fancy coach was a nightmare for the 5 years I owned it and selling it was the most dirty trick I ever delt a fellow human being. It should have been smashed or burnt to the ground like some have and mine almost did. Last fall I purchased a 100K mile '03 E250 for $5K and performed a DIY camper conversion. I took my time installing the various accesories and appliances to manufacture spec's. It's been 100% reliable during several week long outings. Something the dozen or so past RV's all falled to do one way or another.

My parents had a 1949 Airstream, purchased for $100... a bunch of elbow grease on my dads part and that trailer functioned without issue for about 30 years. Sold to a nice young couple in 2006, if I recall for about $18k. After that they purchased a '78 Airstream and used that up until 2021, no real issues with that either. I think there are some manufacturers that used to really pay attention to detail. Now that Thor owns Airstream, I'm sure the quality will suffer.

....Now that Thor owns Airstream...
Thor was formed when Wade THompson and Peter ORthwein purchased Airstream from Beatrice Foods in 1980.

Off subject, Some old stuff was built very well. My wife likes nostalgia and has old signs and stuff about the property. We have on the property a 195929' park model, Boles Arrow purchased for $600 in 2003 from original owner. It was to be a lodging for a sable worker on a horse property that never happened and it sat in Ojai,Ca. it whole life. It is in remarkable unrestored condition, other than our resealing/coating the orig. roof. It is not a travel trailer/RV and built more like a house. We don't use the working appliances or have sewer, water or gas hooked up. 110 power for lights is it. Front(room) has a roll top desk and wife uses it as her office. IMHO an RV would not have fared as well.

Thanks Joe! I have an Alpinelite 84'. I have never heard bad about the trailers made in those early years. The quality of my structure is exceptional, both build and fit, and this I say for a rig, what?, 38 years old!
What was analyzed as the company's demise was the switch of trailer frames. Although they corrected their mistake when it became an issue, the damage to the brand was the downfall.
I was looking at an 84 Alpinelite yesterday. The guy wanted to know what I would charge to make it "usable". I should have taken pictures....while we were going back and forth about what usable meant, he let out that Camping World had told him $8000. I told him to tow it to them. He told me homeless people would love to live in it.....I asked if he was planning to rent to homeless people....Overall the thing was still straight and mostly there. But it had seen no love in a long time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back