• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Interesting discovery while topping off water in house batteries

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
not sure I understand the question(s), but I am surmising that the chassis batteries hit their eq charge of 15.5 first (rather quickly actually) because there are just two of them and they are fairly new - less than a year old. At that point I shut them off (started worrying about them), and let the house bank “equalize”. That took several more hours. Once everything was at rest both sets showed 100%, so life is good.

so….charging/equalizing is/was a time thing, and capacity is good (100%) so not an issue? I’m a little slow sometimes, so if I still don’t get it, just let me know.
So neal brought up dissimilar batteries! The batteries are dissimilar in size. But if a time is set rather than voltage, then the thought would be boil time, not state of charge so to speak. If there is a question it would be do you know if it's time or amp hours that determines equalize settings.

So neal brought up dissimilar batteries! The batteries are dissimilar in size. But if a time is set rather than voltage, then the thought would be boil time, not state of charge so to speak. If there is a question it would be do you know if it's time or amp hours that determines equalize settings.
I guess I’d have to break down and read the manual to find that out and then determine how it was set up by the factory or previous owner. But the fact that my two-battery chassis bank got there a whole lot faster than my six-battery house bank is somewhat telling.

This discussion has also led me to surmise that a build-up of sulfate gunk on the plates may well have been responsible for the initial discovery that I posted at the beginning of this thread since I had never equalized in three years of use.

Latest resources

Back