Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
I add water to my batteries more or less monthly unless I’m not plugged in and using solar a lot which causes more charge cycles in which case I check them more often. Anyway Im home how so I’m plugged in which miminizes house battery use so reduces the need, so….monthly.

So I did the usual with my hand bulb pump adding water to the six house batteries through my watering system from a gallon jug of distilled. As always I pumped until they wouldn't take any more, then put everything away. But I also noticed some corrosion on some of the connections so I decided it was time for a little battery maintenance.

But when I pulled out the tray I could hear water running down inside the batteries. Finding this a bit curious, I got out the pump and tried adding more water. They took about another 1.5 pints! So my little discovery is that something (air pockets?) is preventing the batteries from fully filling when I go through my normal routine, and it seems the batteries need a little agitation to cause the water to settle in all the way allowing me to fully fill them.

Or am I now over-filling them? Seems odd that the water would remain in the top portion of the batteries with a void below that point and not allow the addition of more water. Ideas?

If your batteries are "out-gassing" due to excessive charging, pockets of perhaps this hydrogen sulfide gas could be trapped between the plates.

Rick

I just got done putting a half gallon in mine using the flow-rite system. I put what I had left in the other day, I do this probably quarterly. I'm about to start an equalization. Have you been doing those as well? I do it every 6 months.

no I dont have a decent charger. Its on my list and I should probably stop procrastinating and just buy something but locally prices are high and selection is low. I’d like to find a good used power supply which would be more useful than a basic battery charger.

I’ll check that out. Thanks.

I’ll check that out. Thanks.
Once the batteries are fully charged, you can use the solar system to equalize if it has the option. And yes I would guess hydrogen bubbles is the issue.

When the battery terminals start to corroded it is time to think about replacement.

These batteries were freebies, installed by La Mesa when I bought the coach without being asked. I went there to buy it “as is” but they insisted on spending a full eight hours servicing and cleaning everything inside and out including a rack of new batteries. When I replace them it will be with bigger AGMs but I’m pretty sure I can get a couple more years out of these.

I had no idea it was so simple or that the magnum remote would do this. Thanks @Neal !
D01F9510-B60A-4646-B27E-BDEA8934107A.jpeg

Interestingly this over charges the chassis batteries as well (at least on my rig) so one would be well advised (I think….?) to turn off the chassis batteries while equalizing the house batteries. My chassis batteries were cooking along at 15.7 before I noticed and shut them off, where the house battery bank is equalizing properly (I hope) at 14.9. According to a chart published in RV Tech the eq charge for 12v should be 15.5. I’m guessing that this unit was set up to eq at 14.9 which to my knowledge is also the bulk charge rate.

Latest resources

Back