RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Damon
RV Model
Challenger
RV Length
Hello all,

Cpl. Barnhart MD USMC veteran... i just bought a 1994 Damon Challenger on a p30 chevy chassie.

I have a few questions for you all when you have the time.
Where would I find an owners manual for the coach?
Where would I find a wiring diagram as it is very confusing how this thing works.
Alot of the 12 volt stuff only seems to work when A; the engine is running, B; the generator is running, C; plugged into shore power. So why does it not run off of house batteries?

Welcome aboard, Devil Dog!

Let me ask the obvious question up front: Are your batteries good? Are they taking a charge?

Welcome aboard, Marine, and thank you for your service! Glad to have you here with us.

For an owner manual, try here: https://cwvjwpdci.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/manual-for-1994-damon-challenger-motorhome.pdf

Don't expect much, however, as RV owner manuals are notoriously poor in the amount of information they provide.

For wiring diagrams, you might look here: Damon wiring diagram"update"(added mod) - iRV2 Forums. Again, don't expect too much.

As for the 12-volt issue, have you verified that the batteries are good and holding a charge? With a coach of the age you are dealing with, unless the batteries have recently been replaced with new ones, they are likely not holding a charge.

Good luck with the new coach.

TJ

Semper fi

Well i found two batteries up front in the engine compartment. I disconnected both batteries and use a battery test (old analog type) and the both pass. On the volt meter they read 13.6v and 13.8v. Cleaned all terminals and wire ends and reinstalled.
I think I am missing something somewhere. I was looking for a battery disconnect switch somewhere. Its kinda hard trying to find stuff without a manual. Seems like the newer rigs put stuff where you could find it everything on this thing seems to be hidden.

I even swapped them out with two brand new deep cycle batteries just to see if that made a difference. Everything works when the generator is running or plugged into shore power. Nothing when not plugged in or generator is off

I think you are on the right track with trying to find a battery disconnect switch, sometimes called a salesman's switch. Are your Co2 monitors working? Will your fridge run on propane? It will still require 12v to run the fridge on propane. Those 2 items still work on mine with the salesman's switch off.

I don't know much about your model of RV, and I wanted to say hi, and thank you for your service.

Well hello, and no thanks needed. I would serve this great nation anytime.

I have not even tried the fridge as I have not even leveled the thing yet.
Honestly my girlfriend and I are setting it up outside of her parents house. Her dad had a new septic system installed so we are hooking into that and he is in the process of wiring up a 30amp rv box for us. We already have a heated freshwater hose. We have to move six cords of wood and finish leveling the a rea we are going to park at. Her dad has outdoor carpet he wants to lay down before we park and level the old girl out.
So I have not tried the fridge at all, its brand new. We bought it off an old retired person. Alot of stuff was replaced. Went through the maintenance records. All maintenance was done on time every time. There was alot of extra maintenance done as well. Roof was checked and revealed annually, ac was serviced twice a year. Tires and brakes were just done, batteries are 3 months old. Windshield is brand new.the list goes on. The interior looks like it came off the showroom floor in 1994.

Not knowing if you are new to Rv-ing. Just a reminder when hooked up to a sewer connection, leave your black water dump valve closed until you are at least 3/4 full on your holding tank. Then dump it to avoid the "pyramid".:oops:

Welcome aboard @USMCCPL, great to have you with us. Former A-10 pilot here, now a motorhome driver, not sure which I'm more dangerous in :)

Latest resources

Back