Dutch Star
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ram
Fulltimer
Yes
Headed out today. Stopped for lunch and realized the inverter and charger were off.
Turned on the inverter. Had to do it twice to keep it on. The charger will not turn on. Have the engine running.
First, what caused the inverter/battery charger to turn off?
Second, why won't the charger come on?

Sounds like a BIM behind your cord reel, possibly upper right. Make sure all fuses in all locations (3) are good. Make sure no wires pulled off the BIM, I had the "pink" wire come off once, in fact was off for a long time until I compared to @Chuggs to see it is supposed to be connected to the left (forward of coach) side spade. Wires like this Newmar leaves no slack on for whatever reason.

Wouldn’t the charger only go on when there is generator or shore power?

Wouldn’t the charger only go on when there is generator or shore power?
I wasn't sure if alternator charged too but certainly start the GEN and see if that's it for the indicator from the inverter at least.

I wasn't sure if alternator charged too but certainly start the GEN and see if that's it for the indicator from the inverter at least.
Alternator charges battery… but does it directly and does not go through charger…

The inverter/Charger needs two power sources to get going. You have a 350A catastrophic fuse mounted in the battery bay (higher amperage if came with factory AGM). Check this to make sure it is good and NOT loose. Careful not to get a metal wrench in it and touch the metalic frame members nearby (spark/weld)

Then the AC power which comes from the Inverter breaker midway in the AC distribution panel (aka breaker box). Once these are present you can turn the charger ON. And arm the inverter...and Inverter will go into pass thru mode if both are available. You can remove DC and the Inverter will stay in pass thru...charger will quit. You can remove AC....and the contols will still work on DC the Inverter is previously ON will start inverting g and power the Inverter sub panel items (outlets, microwave, residential fridge).

If the 30A AC breaker is patent...and the 350A DC fuse is patent...then you may have to crawl I side the pass thru bay...look up find the inverter. And look for the button breakers on the casing to reset them.

If still no worky...you may have a failed component. So parts may be replaced...so it would be good to call Magnum to get their input.

Hope it gets you back up and running.

Will look at all of these things when we hit camp in a couple of hours. Update to follow.

Another thought...check your resting house battery voltage. Your Inverter shuts off at LBCO (low battery cutout)...and the charger and BIM don't like to connect a good charge source to a battery with a possible shorted cell. So they won't connect either. I don't know the exact minimum voltage...as I try to NEVER let it go below 12.2v (except momentarily under a non-continous big load item like an espresso machine :))

At our campground for the night. House batteries show 12.8.
Plugged into shore power after looking at the panel behind the cord reel and seeing nothing wrong or loose.
Once power energized, the charger shows bulk charge of 104 Amps at 14.2 volts.
Everything appears ok while on shore power.
Now to dig deeper. I've got to empty the 2nd bay to crawl in and check the inverter.
Will also check the BIM again.
How do you tell if the BIM is bad? The wires look good.

It sounds like you are working as it should and nothing is wrong. Inverter light on and outlets working? Inverter is good. Charger light is on and charging? Charger is good. Slip cold drink into RVF koozie and relax, enjoy....

Latest resources

Back