• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Inverter issue

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Sounds like a BIM behind your cord reel, possibly upper right. Make sure all fuses in all locations (3) are good. Make sure no wires pulled off the BIM, I had the "pink" wire come off once, in fact was off for a long time until I compared to @Chuggs to see it is supposed to be connected to the left (forward of coach) side spade. Wires like this Newmar leaves no slack on for whatever reason.
What is BIM acronym stand for?

BIM and BIRD are two abbreviations used by the two manufacturers. One call theirs one the and the other uses the other.

They are basically Bi-directional battery isolation devices. Bi-directional in that the alternator can charge the House, and the Inverter can charge the chassis...when the parameters are met.

Here's the B.I.R.D.

Bi‐directional Isolator Relay Delay or B.I.R.D.® is a core piece of DC Managment Systems that
includes both a coach and a chassis battery. Its has 3 primary functions:

1) Bridging two battery banks together when a charging source is present from either one.
2) Isolating the batteries when the charging source is removed or when both battery banks are
fully charged.
3) Providing aux start power when the chassis battery is low and unable to start the vehicle.

Here's the BIM

So...it just depends on who makes it. Intellitec v. Precision Circuits. They are designed to do the same thing overall...but may be slightly different in how they are set and packaged.

Last edited:
I like your plan better. Tomorrow, I'll check things again going down the road. My biggest concern is the fridge having no power while traveling. That is what started me looking earlier.
But, our average travel time is 3 hours. Things will stay cold that long.
Plan on spending a couple weeks in Wisconsin and more time to look at things closer.
Thanks to all that had input.
We've put our tt on ferrys over the years and never a problem leaving the fridge off for 10 hours at a time. Just keep opening the doors to a bare minimum.

Well the issue is resolved. Today's travel did well. No issues. Guess I turned the inverter off inadvertently. That's the kind of problems I like.
Thanks again to all for your inputs and education I received.
What was really the best was the quickness of replies during this issue.

Latest resources

Back