• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Inverter issues with Allegro Breeze 28BR

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Just an update... I have some results. The previous owner had only the Microwave and Refer on inverter power (strange as the refer is gas also). I was able to move the breaker outlets I wanted to the inverter buss in the panel. Mission accomplished but in all this troubleshooting I failed to notice that the inverter only supplies 103 to 106 volts, not 120 like it should. Does low battery drain cause this or is my inverter gone bad. So I can't get the full power to the other outlets. This is strange as the microwave still works, it's plug has 106 volts to.
Baffling...

Just an update... I have some results. The previous owner had only the Microwave and Refer on inverter power (strange as the refer is gas also). I was able to move the breaker outlets I wanted to the inverter buss in the panel. Mission accomplished but in all this troubleshooting I failed to notice that the inverter only supplies 103 to 106 volts, not 120 like it should. Does low battery drain cause this or is my inverter gone bad. So I can't get the full power to the other outlets. This is strange as the microwave still works, it's plug has 106 volts to.
Baffling...
Likely a modified sine wave inverter. You will need an RMS voltage meter to measure voltage.

Also test everything you plug in to make sure you don't have a fire.

I spoke with a tech at Tripp-Lite and he told me a regular voltage meter doesn't read the correct voltage. Tiffin has some voltage meters installed so I'm not sure why they are there except to read out when the Generator is on, or Utility power is supplied. He talked about sine waves and such but that was way over my head. What I don't understand is why the microwave and fridge work but I can't even get my phone charger or cpap cord to work on the same 106volt circuit. He let me know I could install a different Inverter that has a better "sine wave" or whatever, but when plugged into Utility power the source has to be 230 volts. Ok, now I am really lost on this...

I spoke with a tech at Tripp-Lite and he told me a regular voltage meter doesn't read the correct voltage. Tiffin has some voltage meters installed so I'm not sure why they are there except to read out when the Generator is on, or Utility power is supplied. He talked about sine waves and such but that was way over my head. What I don't understand is why the microwave and fridge work but I can't even get my phone charger or cpap cord to work on the same 106volt circuit. He let me know I could install a different Inverter that has a better "sine wave" or whatever, but when plugged into Utility power the source has to be 230 volts. Ok, now I am really lost on this...
Yup! tripp lite told you what I did, it is a modified sine wave unit. And as I said you need to test anything you will use with it. I found an inductive cook top of one brand would work using one and another would not. If you need to use the Cpap then you need truesine/puresine. It used to be an expensive item but today puresine is fairly cheap.

I could tell you the reason the voltage is lower and what the difference is but I think you would be lost in the conversation as many would be. Truesine produces the same wave form as shore power or generator (Much cleaner in fact). The investment is well worth the effort & a low frequency low voltage inverter will be the most durable on the market. Your fridge if compressor style will last much longer. If the fridge is propane it will cool much better because electric heating with modified sine wave(what you have) will not produce as much heat.
Cheap items like sonic units for mouse control and bug control may burst into flame using modified sine inverters.

Don't blame Tripp Lite, They were producing inverters back when an inverter produced square waves. Blame outdated tech and the fact that only a few years ago modified sine wave was what was the most popular. You almost had to order true sine online back in that day.

Oh one more thing. If the generator/shore power/ inverter will feed the same items you will need a transfer switch for inverter and generator. consult an electrician with back up power experience or it will cost you a bundle in inverter replacement till you do. It will also be illegal when hooked up to the public utilities.

Update....needed a new inverter. Plain and simple. done! Thanks for the help

Latest resources

Back