Alert iPhone 14 with new Emergency SOS - Satellite communicator

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Neal ,

I stayed up late to dig into this further since this bugged me, as well as other buddies.

While this guy presents some very good points, he’s a bit of a negative nay-Bob in terms of berating resolution and file size.

But, his point about the fixed, aka optical lenses, is a valid one. With the Pro Max, you’ll NOT have the 77mm (3x) lens but, instead, the 120m (5x). SO…you’ll have a big jump from the 24mm to the 120mm. That's just the sacrifice you’ll have to make if you take the PM. BUT YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER EXPECT GOOD QUALITY FROM ZOOMING INBETWEEN THE “FIXED” LENSES…PERIOD! This is “digital zoom” and doing so will trash the resolution of any image…on any camera. This hasn’t changed from any version iPhone, 14PM included. So, I’m completely disregarding that whole rant which is actually just as confusing to the non-technical photographer.

His claim of “file bloat”, I chucked into the round file labeled, “WHAT EV ER”! Blaming Apple for intentionally doubling the file size of a 12MP image because they want to make more money on storage? Oh, the horror of Apple making profits. 🙄 First off, buy Apple stock then and be happy. But second, to accuse Apple of having bigger file sizes, kinda proves to me that you haven’t even considered WHAT that exact data contains! There is a ton of extra processing that Apple’s photo engine performs that a “standard DSLR” doesn’t. So…there…how bout that!? I’m not worried about file sizes or storage a single bit, so long as the phone kicks butt as an incredible “camera in my pocket”…and that, it does!

I know this was long, but I really hopes it reveals the important facts and cuts through any hyperbole.

Thanks @CaptainGizmo - some of the issues were brought up by others last year with the iPhone 14 Pro Max so it's not all new. I know the iPhone 14 users (some of my pilot buddies) had major battery drain issues I think from the action doofer at the top, can't remember the name of it, so hope that doesn't remain with the 15 but will watch for it as I've had great battery life with my 12 Pro Max even today with 89% battery health.

iOS 17 seems to run even better, smoother, again asking myself why are you doing this? But I'm a techie and so be it. I have a nice Nikon D850 digital camera that I need to continue to use for good photography stuff but the phones typically do just fine too for my use. In the end I realize this is a 14S and Apple seems to be struggling to innovate still coming out of the pandemic and dealing with employees not wanting to return to the office I presume. To continue my rambling, I think these phones are like computers in that they are so good they are lasting far longer and not needing to be replaced as often just like PC's started out. I shouldn't be spending this money is the real issue at hand, ugh, we'll see how it goes. Not admitting an Apple Watch Ultra 2 is also coming, nope. Just hope @sheridany doesn't read this and dispatch my therapist that will send me back to the 18 step spendahaulics shock therapy program.

Thanks @CaptainGizmo - some of the issues were brought up by others last year with the iPhone 14 Pro Max so it's not all new. I know the iPhone 14 users (some of my pilot buddies) had major battery drain issues I think from the action doofer at the top, can't remember the name of it, so hope that doesn't remain with the 15 but will watch for it as I've had great battery life with my 12 Pro Max even today with 89% battery health.

iOS 17 seems to run even better, smoother, again asking myself why are you doing this? But I'm a techie and so be it. I have a nice Nikon D850 digital camera that I need to continue to use for good photography stuff but the phones typically do just fine too for my use. In the end I realize this is a 14S and Apple seems to be struggling to innovate still coming out of the pandemic and dealing with employees not wanting to return to the office I presume. To continue my rambling, I think these phones are like computers in that they are so good they are lasting far longer and not needing to be replaced as often just like PC's started out. I shouldn't be spending this money is the real issue at hand, ugh, we'll see how it goes. Not admitting an Apple Watch Ultra 2 is also coming, nope. Just hope @sheridany doesn't read this and dispatch my therapist that will send me back to the 18 step spendahaulics shock therapy program.
I have a 14 pro max 512gb and have never had any battery issues. my battery lasts 2 days easy with avg screen use of 7.5 hours a day.

however, with having had issues with the battery health declining on previous iPhone's (down to 80% within a year) I have taken on a new approach to charging.

first I used to plug in to my car for carplay every drive, this obviously keeps the device charging, I purchased a wireless carplay device so I no longer charge while driving.

second I no longer charge until the battery is under 20% and never charge above 90%

I purchased a USB "timer" that allows me to set how long the usb charge port is active and charging. at 12 months old now my 14 is still showing 99% battery health with these changes.

Amazon product ASIN B07467HKNZ
When I go to bed I set the delay for 5 hours, and the charge time for 3 hours, (given a typical 8 hour night of sleep)

@Neal,

Group therapy is available. I’m in.

Only issue I have to work through is grabbing an Ultra2 while we are on the road! 1st world problem! LOL

You’ve gotta handle on tech things.

The 14PM has been near perfect for me…so no fear.

Oh, I failed to mention the comment about the f-stop (aperture) of the 120mm being f/22 and Apple not mentioning it. Gimme a break. Once you’re into photography that deep, you should already know you’re not gonna eek out a 2.8 outta your iPhone with a 120mm lens.

Goes back to the processing magic behind the scenes. If you don’t believe it; try a night shot with my 14PM and see it blow away my Sony a7 beast.

@mjeds Apple has that taken care of but it's good to understand it in that your phone won't just charge when plugged in. Check Settings > Battery > Battery Health & Charging and make sure "Optimized Battery Charging" is ON. My phone also has "Clean Energy Charging" ON.

Dynamic Island is that doofer at the top some think is the cause for the faster battery drain.

Only issue I have to work through is grabbing an Ultra2 while we are on the road! 1st world problem! LOL
I'll find you an Apple store enroute. Give me a few minutes...locating....
The 14PM has been near perfect for me…so no fear.
So you're going from a 14PM to a 15PM? Pheeew, and I thought I had issues! @sheridany - your new patient. I'm on the run...

@mjeds Apple has that taken care of but it's good to understand it in that your phone won't just charge when plugged in. Check Settings > Battery > Battery Health & Charging and make sure "Optimized Battery Charging" is ON. My phone also has "Clean Energy Charging" ON.
I am aware of these features, and they did not stop the battery life from diminishing so bad in the first year I owned my 12 that apple replaced the phone. losing 20% of the capacity within the first year of a 2-year lease is unacceptable. Apple has an active program to automatically replace a phone if the battery capacity drops below 80% within 12 months, so they know they have an issue, the program has been in place since the 11, it is also in place for the ipad pro and the air pod pros, just had my air pods replaced due to them not lasting 30 minutes and being only 7 months old. tested at an apple store and declared defective.

I saw the same behavior on my 8 and X, Apple's "fix" isn't a real fix, and it has been hashed out on the Apple forums for years. the 14 has the same issue, my daughter has the same phone as I and hers is down to 93% after 10 months of ownership as she leaves it plugged in overnight. the "optimize" isn't a real fix IMO, it doesn't stop the battery from overheating when on the charger.

my solution appears to be working,

apple has had battery issues for 5-6 years and they choose not to fix or address them, just replace the devices of customers that complain. Samsung had the same issue in 2017 and fixed it; their batteries take 5-6 years to diminish 10%, apple batteries diminish 10%-20% within 1- 1.5 years.

personally I will never own an Android/Google device, I don't care for their Data sharing policies.

@Neal open your blinds and look outside. The intervention team is there outside your house ready to help. but you will have surrender your password app and your credit cards. Cooperate and you can be on your way to a healthier you.

I'll find you an Apple store enroute. Give me a few minutes...locating....

So you're going from a 14PM to a 15PM? Pheeew, and I thought I had issues! @sheridany - your new patient. I'm on the run...
LOL…you have no idea.

I’m on the “YES” incremental upgrade path.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back