Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Is it viable to tow a hollowed out Viking Popup Camper with a Ford Fiesta?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RVEnthusiast

RVF Newbee
I'm thinking that if I hollow it out of the furniture etc, i can get it down to about 1,000 pounds. The Ford Fiesta rates at 1,900 lbs GVWR
So wondering if I'm careful, is it possible to drag this thing around America?

I'm grateful for your experience
Thank you,
-Eric

Isn't that the Ford with the dry transmission? If it is I wouldn't.

Two issues I see. The rear "hitch mounting area" on the back of the Fiesta is only sheet metal, (not very thick at that) and as such, is nowhere near strong enough for long term stress of towing. It'll eventually tear out and leave you with big holes and a loose trailer.
The brakes on a Fiesta will be inadequate to reliably stop an additional 1,000-1,200 pounds of weight.
(As mentioned, the trans is probably not up to the task, either.)

I realize you wish to keep your fuel expenses down, but don't endanger yourself and other travelers to do it. Find yourself a decent V-6 powered Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10 with the extended cab. A Dakota would be better, but they quit building those in 2011, and by now, most of them would be getting a bit rough.

Now....about that GVWR. That 1,900# gets small rather fast. You need to subtract your weight, passenger's weight, gasoline weight (about 7lbs/gal.), cargo weight, hitch weight, and your pet's weight first. THEN the remainder is what you get to tow. (In case you're not familiar with how to calculate that figure.)

It MIGHT work ok, IF you could find youself a really light teardrop camper, but those get expensive if you're trying to buy one. There are folks building them on Harbor Freight trailer frames, with structural foam walls and bulkheads. I've heard of a few that got the basic build down to around 600-700 pounds.

Roger

Does the trailer or the Fiesta have a GVWR of 1900lb? The Fiesta likely weighs more than that with nothing inside and zero fluids. As mentioned, the transmission would be a cause for concern unless it's a manual (those last too long thus have been largely eliminated by manufacturers who need more of your money on a regular basis), with a manual you'd be far better off. The frontal area of the TT would be killer regardless of what weight you got it down to.

Latest resources

Back