Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Is washing bugs off your windshield washing your rig?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Hello, my name is Neal and I'm a bad guy.... I'm at a SP in Tucson (Catalina) and before putting my magneshades on I wanted to get the bugs off. As all the water here goes to the golf courses, it seems, it's a no wash your rig rule kinda place. I've never had an issue cleaning bugs off the windshield at any other "no wash" CG. I had a hunch someone was going to report me and as this is a quite spread out CG sure enough a lady in a golf cart shows up as I'm finishing. Annoying mind you as she couldn't ride over to me but instead keep calling "excuse me...". She asks "do you have a water problem" or are you washing your coach. I reply I am just cleaning off my windshield of all the bugs. She says "well that's sort of washing your coach". I say no ma'am, this is for driving safety, my coach is dirty as you can see.

So what is your take on cleaning windshields at no wash CG's?

I fill a wash bucket with water rather than spraying water from a hose onto the windshield. Dip the washing pad into the bucket, clean a section of glass, squeegee...and repeat. If anyone questions me, I just tell them I brought the water with me in my on-board tank and it is mine to do with what I wish. Truth be told, I usually fill the bucket from the park tap, but no one needs to know that but me.

Yes, it takes a bit more time and effort, but does seem to avoid hassles from the water police.

I do like the "safety issue" response and will file that away in my ever-growing bag of tricks. Thanks for the idea.

TJ

I was using the gen bay hot water connection which is tank fed. Didn’t matter. The wet area on the ground was the evidence of any water use. Won’t stop me as I do consider it safety. I tried washing at the last fuel up but couldn’t get the bugs off.

IME, people perceive water in a bucket differently than water coming from a hose. Go figure, but I think it is true. That said, I don't have a lot of experience in drought areas with severe water restrictions.

I do agree that driving safety trumps arbitrary water restrictions. Sadly, common sense is in pretty short supply in today's society.

TJ

I have always used my pressure washer to wash the front of the coach. This includes the many parks that prohibit washing. I have had only 1 park that stopped me to complain, but when I pointed out that using a pressure washer used less water and that I was not connected to their water supply, they left me alone.

Using the foam cannon, mary moppins lambswhool, and 3 buckets is a different story, and I only do that in walmart parking lots or RV parks that give me permission.

After driving in places like Florida and certainly at home in Virginia during the summer, this really can be safety issue. If the place explicitly says no washing, I mitigate that by using a bucket. Like @TJ&LadyDi says, a bucket is perceived differently. If they don't explicitly prohibit washing, I get out the pressure washer since it is quicker to get done.

I've only had the problem this one time and I think it was a lady that was a bit over entitled in her position of CG host.

@Neal you didn't happen to be near Yellowstone when this crazy lady got after you did you?

I have only had the one encounter, and it was a crazy lady near yellowstone.

I generally don't get the hose out for windshield bug removal, but use a bucket and a window brush/squeegee combo. This last year while traveling it seemed to me there were more and more parks with a strict "no wash" policy.

Neal, I do think that particular CG employee was a little over the top.

Some of the rules are brought up by abusers that have to wash their wheels, sides, etc. every time they stop. I have seen it many times in States known to have water shortage. Cleaning the windshield alone is not enough for them.
Dusty wheels don’t bother me. I just stop at Blue Beacon once in a while ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back