RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Cougar
RV Length
28'
Fulltimer
No
We just spent a few days in Manti-La Sal National Forest, UT. We have started noticing a disturbing tread within our forests. We had a terrible time trying to find a dispersed campsite. Many miles and hours later we found a site for a few days. Unloaded our ATV and over the next two days found 17 camps that were not occupied with no vehicles nor tracks to the RV's. I spoke with a forest supervisor who was aware they had a problem and asked for help identifying the locations. Most of these sites are people who parked their RV's in the spring and visit them whenever they want to throughout the camping season. (like a summer cabin) This violates at least three of the rules governing dispersed camping and leaves nowhere for families to bring the kids for a few days. With camera and gps in hand we noted every site we passed by that fit the mold. I have emailed the supervisor the info. I have posted previously about the RV community assisting in keeping our lands open and hope others will help when possible.

I have noticed the same thing in Wyoming and Montana. As you said, reporting to the ranger is the best solution. I have seen results of my reports with tow trucks hauling the equipment off. That is very satisfying 😌

You go there one day and notice it and the rangers go there every day and don't !!!!

As the title of my friend's book states; "Failure is built on a foundation of excuses.", then we find one standing back and saying "it's not my job" which is the first step in excuses.

Personally, I'm really tired of folks pointing the finger toward someone or something. When doing so, they need to look down and likely find that three are pointing back at them. Perhaps that is the real source of the problem. There is a solution, and it is hiding in the voting booth.

Folks, it is time for all to get off of their laurels and do something constructive.

My accolades to those that made pictures and reported the incidents. Thank you!

Bob

I have noticed the same thing in Wyoming and Montana. As you said, reporting to the ranger is the best solution. I have seen results of my reports with tow trucks hauling the equipment off. That is very satisfying 😌
If those of us who use our public lands don't help police them we will lose access to more of them. We are also seeing more campfires in our fire restricted forests. So far I have been able to ask them to put them out and standby to make sure it's done. It's a chance I'm willing to take to keep another forest fire from happening.

I know little of what a park rangers actual daily routine entails but I can guess they have things in common with any other job. I imagine they have a routine which requires them to travel from area A to B to C to do various things. And it may be that they are so consumed by what needs doing there they don't have time to wander about in area D to "just check on things". Just a guess. Anytime you're short handed a lot of things start fraying around the edges.
I talked to a game warden once who said one of the hardest parts of his job was trying to figure out how to be random. It's just too easy to settle into some sort of routine and as soon as they do the miscreants start hanging out in the places they have figured out don't get patrolled.

What gets me here is the campers. "Yeah, it'll be OK to leave my camping equipment on some property I don't own and don't actually have permission to use like that. No way that could ever backfire on me."

I have always assumed it was something nefarious such as human trafficking or drug production (both)

Having seen the first season of "Breaking Bad".... redbaron might have a point there. However much a fictional TV show might reflect reality I don't know but it makes some sense.

I'm not familiar with "dispersed campsites". Are these free to the public? Or do you have to pay for them? If you have to pay, then I don't see the problem with someone paying for the whole season and only going to stay as they have time. If it's a free campsite then they need to be towed.

Latest resources

Back