• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Jackery Solar Generator/power unit

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Because the weak link in such projects is electronics it would be hard to justify a forever battery without suggesting spare inverter controller and BMS . So now I suggest the forever battery LTO + extra electronics. More cumbersome but If your looking to spend your money on backups?

Can you elaborate? I am trying to learn all this, as as far as power understanding is just getting up to speed. Some more details, please. Some of that is another language to me.

OK, for those thinking Lifepo4 batteries for their future, there is a new kid on the block. It is called LTO both are lithium based, however the advantages are all over the place. Lifepo4 can still turn into a ball of flame where LTO won't. Lifepo4 has a ???4000 cycle life(number of cycles before they should be replaced 80% capacity) The LTO has 20 or 30 thousand cycle life, more when used as house battery. The LTO battery is less energy dense as the Lifepo4 so size will be bigger and likely heaver. Both techs have been around in the lab from the 80's, so not a new thing.

A BMS is a battery management system. It keeps the cells charged at the same voltage from cell to cell keeping thermal runaway at bay. Although you can assemble the parts, most Lifepo4 batteries come assembled in a case resembling a lead acid battery. Although LTO more often comes as cells that you bolt together, they too can come as an assembly. If you buy an assembly it already has the BMS under the hood. If you build your own you will be assembling the cells and installing the BMS. I like building my own because I like the freedom of making it fit in places that a car battery will not fit and I have a 24volt system. I like buying spare parts like the BMS because I have found the BMS is the weak link in the battery.

I have used both solar controllers as well as what is known as a buck converter that functions as a cccv power source (constant current constant voltage) that is specified with Lithium batteries of all kinds. No matter what you use you will need a constant voltage from the panel that meets the needs of your battery. This is the function of the MPPT solar controller we have talked about elsewhere in the threads.

Although we have not talked much about the kinds of inverters I will take this moment. Wave form options are modified wave and true sine wave. Inverters of the true sine wave produce a cleaner waveform than most any grid tie or generator.
as with the types of wave form there are two types of inverters. You can buy all kinds of bells and whistles but basically there are Low frequency low voltage inverters. this is what the Newmar owners are talking about. and there are what are called car inverters. a car inverter converts the voltage to the proper voltage using High frequency techniques because this keeps the size and weight down for portable needs. It is then switched to produce a alternating current. A harbor freight inverter will use this method and will produce a modified wave output. This kind of inverter has a useful life of 1 to 1 1/2 years.
If you want a 10year life expectancy you will be considering the low frequency low voltage units that are on the market like Aims or what is on the Newmar rigs. They will start many loads that the car inverter will not.

I like building things rather than buying them. I like the bragging rights. I buy the components and build my own, it is not that difficult but it does impress.

Wow! The thing that has kept me from jumping in is lifespan, for sure. I don’t mind putting upfront higher costs out if it is going to last. When I look at all the options, a extra small gas/propane portable generator, more lead batteries, solar power pack, solar integrated, solar is so much more. Again, fine, if it is going to last me. I can’t spend $1,500 + every 4-6 years. The Jackery does not give mt the option to replace just the battery. An old fashion generator with good maintenance will last forever but not green, much more hassle and noisy. I rather go solar obviously.

the generator will only last forever if it has pressure oiling with a filter. Even still there comes a time it will not be reliable. Propane powering will increase the life of a generator but costly.

I think really I just need to fine-tune my goals as far as how much power I really do need. Maybe in all reality I don’t need a lot of extra power. I just don’t want to get stuck like I did this week in the middle of an evacuation without any. I also would like to be able to Boondock and not have to worry that I’m going to be stuck somewhere. Or at least having to come back into town every two or three days to power up. I have a small RV, it’s only 21 feet. It is only one person and a couple cats. I do telework so I do need to be able to keep my electronics charged.

Latest resources

Back