Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ventana 4369

RVF Newbee
My wife and I just purchased a 2022 Newmar Ventana and are interested in a tow vehicle.
Like I'm sure most of you, I don't want to trailer it, or put miles on the vehicle while towing. I've been told that you can tow (toad style) a jeep and not put miles on it. They say just put in neutral.
Is this true? And if so, what makes the Jeep the only vehicle that can be towed in this fashion?

Thanks in advance

The primary need is to be able to disconnect the wheels from the transmission. this is done in the transfer case by putting the transfer case in neutral. really requires a 4 wheel-drive jeep with true transfer case. There’s also some other small complications with certain cars that have electric steering - some of the jeeps do (since 2018 I think) had a problem (“death wobble”) however there is a fix for it and it has hopefully been corrected in the 2022 and newer. Lots of good information out there - do your research.

our jeep has been our toad for a long time and 35k mikes without any problems at all (except for the one time I forgot to take the emergency brake off that only lasted a few feet - Lesson learned and reminded me to follow my procedure steps and not get distracted)

The actual towing is absolutely simple and really doesn’t affect anything you’re doing as far as driving other than you cannot back up (ever) without detaching the toad.

Any vehicle that is flat towable does not wrack up miles when being towed.

Jeep is not the only vehicle that can be flat towed. There are many different males and models . ( although, jeep is the most popular.). We have towed several different makes and models, including Jeep, Ford, Buick, Chevrolet and GMC. My humble experience is the 2019 GMC Acadia Denali is the easiest thus far. All are pretty much the same deal exterior but in this model, all I have to do is pull the rubber boot around the shifter, push to release a lever, shift to neutral, turn the electric braking system on and we are ready to travel. I will add this , there are many opinions on this subject and none are wrong. What ever is good for you, is the right way to go. Safe travels.

There are many vehicles that are flat towable that are not 4 wheel drive. I flat tow a GMC Terrain.

The list of 4 down towing is getting shorter every year. Don't buy a TOAD without researching the owner's manual for the car you are buying. One year might be towable while a newer model may not be so be careful. I had a 2017 Grand Cherokee that had what they call the death wobble and wasn't a fix thill 2021 when Jeep released a wiring harness to activate the steering during towing.
FMCA has a list of 4 down towable but I believe you have to be a member to view it but even if it's on the list still verify with the user manual.
I tow a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and all you have to do is put the transfer case in neutral and the auto trans in park. Since buying the Wranger I found I enjoy going to places like Colorado and doing some easy trail ridiing.

Jeep Wrangler, 4 wheel drive, Sahara. Very easy to tow, and tons of fun.

HH

I bought a 2001 Wrangler to tow. I wanted a manual transmission, straight six, and coil spring front suspension, so that narrowed it down to 1998 - 2006. Then I shopped for several months looking for a low milage, unmodified example.

For brakes I used M&G since I had air to the back and for lights I just wired a flat-4 set up that plugs into the coach and is wired into the Jeep taillights. So with the key off one click, the wheel doesn't lock, the jeep battery isnt used, and its about a two minute job to hook up and disconnect.

The M&G system is excellent and simple but it has two drawbacks.
1. I had to relocate three emissions related vaccum operated devices.
2. although they say braking is proportional, and it probably is for the most part, the toad brakes will lock up under severe braking where the anti-lock brakes on the coach prevent those brakes from locking.

Its possible that the Jeep brakes just need power (key on) to prevent this, but its also possible to prevent for the most part by anticipating what other drivers might do. But not always. It still stops straight, just leaves some rubber behind.

We tow a 2018 Ram 4x4 pickup. Leave the transmission in park, put the transfer case in neutral, hook up the tow bar, safety cables, air line for the brakes and the emergency break away cable. We have te M&G braking system and Roadmaster 10K tow bar. Been very happy with it. No miles accumulate while towing.

I am thinking of towing my 2018 GMC Canyon Denali 4WD. I have not looked that the owner manual yet regarding flat towing. Does anyone on here flat tow a Canyon or Colorado? I don't want to buy a fourth vehicle just to use as a toad but I am considering selling the Canyon and buying a Jeep Gladiator if the Gladiator would tow better.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back