jeep tow

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I believe Neal tows a Canyon

Pardon me for sounding stoopid, but............How does one flat tow a vehicle, and NOT " put miles on it"? Sure, you won't rack up miles on the odometer, but you're still putting miles on it in the form of tire wear, suspension cycling, road vibration, etc., etc.
Let's be honest with ourselves, here. The only true way to tow a vehicle and not put miles on it is to trailer it. Even then, there's going to be some suspension cycling and road vibration.
And for the record, I pull a 5er, so don't have a toad.

Roger

To clarify, miles do not show up on the odometer. Yes the tires wear as well as the shocks, wheel bearings and the brake pads since they are applied when you apply the coach brakes.

I have a 2016 Colorado and have about 65000 miles towing it, not registered on the odometer. It has been a good toad. I am looking to upgrade to full size p/u once prices stabilize. 😢

I flat tow a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition 4WD. I'm the 2nd owner and I bought it in 1998 because I could flat tow it and I needed to be able to get out of the rural road I lived on in the winter. It's beat up, doesn't look all that great because the idiots in parking lots think it's okay to hit it and leave (three times by co-workers and twice by cops) but it still runs and it doesn't add miles to the odometer while flat towing. I also don't worry if a rock causes a ding. You might want to consider towing an older vehicle as opposed to a shiny new one. A towed gets a lot of abuse. I've replaced the windshield once (not due to flat towing) and the headlights once (got hit in an RV park by a trailer as it was leaving.... no they didn't stop either even though I was chasing them down... worthless cowards).

Also since my jeep is weird about it's electrical, I have a hitchhaul cargo carrier on the back. I mounted trailer lights to the carrier and string a long cable over the roof to plug into the lights of whatever is pulling my jeep. I do have to replace the trailer lights every so often due to the idiots who "bump" into the cargo carrier. It's also a good place to put my empty 4wheeled tank when traveling.

I flat tow a 2018 GMC Canyon without any issues. I've owned and towed several different Jeeps and prefer the better ride and quietness of my Canyon.

Latest resources

Back