Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
While heading for cooler climes in the summer, we pass through some fairly hot regions (looking at YOU, north Texas!), where temps often are over 100F. Is there a difference in fridge cooling efficiency between propane or generator? (During the first few days of travel, we usually keep the propane turned off, and just use the generator, because we use house air in addition to cab air)

I haven't noticed any. I have a dometic 1402.

The only time I use propane for the refrigerator is when driving and the generator isn't running, or when shore power goes out and it's not hot enough to worry about using the generator.

I'm hoping the dometic lasts a long time but I see an upgrade in my future to a Samsung rf18.
It struggles when the florida weather turns to summer and 100 degrees and not much cooling down at night (75 at night). Especially when the sun's shining on the refrigerator side of the motorhome in the afternoon.
This is usually right before we leave Florida to come home.

I've always been told that it's not safe to travel with a propane fridge lit but I get flamed when I mention it on RV forums.

I've always been told that it's not safe to travel with a propane fridge lit but I get flamed when I mention it on RV forums.
Won’t get flamed here.

Yes you can find stories of them burning the side of the RV for one reason or another. Not only when traveling but stationary as well.

We did run on propane with our old coach when traveling. Switched to electric once we were parked and hooked up.

If you are running the generator for a/c on the road, nothing wrong with leaving on electric

I always travel with the fridge on propane in our TT. It's too darn hot here to do otherwise.
I don't know where this myth of it being unsafe to travel with propane on came from.
If you have a gen by all means use it, if not just use the propane setting on the fridge.

I always travel with the fridge on propane in our TT. It's too darn hot here to do otherwise.
I don't know where this myth of it being unsafe to travel with propane on came from.
If you have a gen by all means use it, if not just use the propane setting on the fridge.
I'm just thinking of the scenario where if you were in a collision, it seems like rupturing a propane line is possible. Then the entire propane tank is available as fuel for a possible fire. Whereas if you have the tanks closed, you'd have to rupture one of the tanks themselves to have a fire or explosion.

Was going to stay off here for a while, but this topic is to important!

What will set off gas/propane easier than anything else is a spark.(no it's not a flame)

Most fires caused by refrigerators or heaters in RV's are where the owner failed to shut them down while fueling.

It has been the cause of two propane fueling stations being wiped off the face of the map that I know about!

Gas stations? I personally don't know of any!

Electric is safer than propane, but if you run your generator while fueling, if the attendant allows it, that is where they become an issue.

I am not in any way endorsing the use of propane refrigerators!!! But they are generally safe!

Won’t get flamed here.

Yes you can find stories of them burning the side of the RV for one reason or another. Not only when traveling but stationary as well.

We did run on propane with our old coach when traveling. Switched to electric once we were parked and hooked up.

If you are running the generator for a/c on the road, nothing wrong with leaving on electric
We have been RVing for over 40 years (full timing now for almost seven years). One travel trailer and now on our third motor home. We have always traveled with the fridge running and have never had a problem. The fridge we have now automatically chooses the source between 110 or propane. If the genset is running it is electric. You should not be running your genset when fueling nor have any gas or electric appliance running. We always make sure every thing is off 'cause I think our lives are more valuable that everyone else's. :)

Darrell

Last edited:
We have been RVing for over 40 years (full timing now for almost seven years). One travel trailer and now on our third motor home. We have always traveled with the fridge running and have never had a problem. The fridge we have now automatically chooses the source between 110 or propane. If the genset is running it is electric. You should not be running your genset when fueling nor have any gas or electric appliance running. We always make sure every thing is off 'cause I think our lives are more valuable that everyone else's. :)

Darrell
What exactly is the risk caused by fueling gasoline with a generator or any electrical appliances running?

Latest resources

Back