Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Just finished upgrading 2021 NA to three 460ah LI - OMG!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Thanks for all the info. Did or will you unhook the BIM or will it still work? I am thinking of the boost function.
So interestingly enough, the Epoch batteries, especially in parallel as I have them, seem to have enough umph to do the boost. At least for a short burst. I actually had an issue with my coach batteries with all this work as I left the coach master switch on overnight and some chassis battery connected items drained down since they were left on (doors open, etc.). The next day I was able to use the boost for all of two seconds to turn over the coach and it worked! Batteries individual say they will do 1300A for 1 second though.
1712942949553.png

So the plan is to leave the BIM in and then wire the Orion between it and the batteries? This helps with my planning.

So the plan is to leave the BIM in and then wire the Orion between it and the batteries? This helps with my planning.
That is the plan. With the Lynx and installed 60A fuse in between. And the Orion connected via VE.Direct cable to the Cerbo.

What is this BIM component you are talking about and is it a standard component in the OEM DC coach battery systems? Trying to get my head wrapped around this subject. We do not boondock much at all but I am exploring the possibility of upgrading the coach with as much storage and generation as possible to be able to feed the house during our more and more frequent power outages rather than run a propane or gas generator.

Every coach more or less has some form of battery isolation set up. Some more so than others. Some have simple relays, some have timer based systems for engaging and disengaging the batteries and charging systems, and some have more complicated algorithms in computer based systems.

SO my 2022 Dutch Star has a Victron charger inverter I believe. Would the BIM be integral to the Charger/inverter or a separate component? My standard Lead acid batteries are in good shape still but when they begin to fail I will be looking to take advantage of the latest technology to upgrade the batteries and the DC/DC charger. Great thread!

According to the manufacturer of a BIM:
“The Battery Isolation Manager isolates the two battery systems, Chassis & Coach, in a Motorhome. This prevents loads in one system from discharging both. It also connects the two battery systems together during charging. Both batteries are charged if either is being charged. The Coach Battery is charged while driving down the road, and the Chassis Battery is charged while plugged into Shore Power at a camp ground.”
This is from precision circuits inc.

SO my 2022 Dutch Star has a Victron charger inverter I believe. Would the BIM be integral to the Charger/inverter or a separate component? My standard Lead acid batteries are in good shape still but when they begin to fail I will be looking to take advantage of the latest technology to upgrade the batteries and the DC/DC charger. Great thread!
The modern Newmar coaches use a slew of Silverleaf modules to monitor and manage many different things. There is a module in the dash that monitors the engine data (is it on, RPM, etc) as well as route the turn signal video signals. This information is used by another Silverleaf module to open and close a solenoid to separate or join the two battery systems - aka "Bridge" them. Side note, this module in my dash was actually bad when I bought the coach and my batteries were not charging when driving - Silverleaf tech at first thought it was the module controlling the solenoid but it was not bridging because this module was not giving engine status to other module. Complicated systems these coaches ;)

According to the manufacturer of a BIM:
“The Battery Isolation Manager isolates the two battery systems, Chassis & Coach, in a Motorhome. This prevents loads in one system from discharging both. It also connects the two battery systems together during charging. Both batteries are charged if either is being charged. The Coach Battery is charged while driving down the road, and the Chassis Battery is charged while plugged into Shore Power at a camp ground.”
This is from precision circuits inc.
I admit that I have more reading to do. I was under the impression and understanding that the chassis batteries would be charged with the engine running down the road and the coach batteries would be charged by the inverter/charger when on shore power. Maybe I am confused by what Chassis batteries are and coach batteries are. I call the chassis batteries the two in the engine bay that are start batteries and the coach batteries are the deep cycle batteries that powers the coach thru the inverter. Actually I don't understand why both batteries would not be charged always at the same time.

Latest resources

Back