Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

pintail85

RVF Regular
I am looking for some advice. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 with a 5'6" bed and Ram Boxes. Towing capacity for my truck is 11,200lb. The Keystone Cougar 24RDS is 7,300lb dry.

1.Has anyone hauled this model with a truck similar to mine with a 5th wheel(slider) and Ram boxes? Is this combination possible?
2. Kicker: I also want to pull a 1,200lb aluminum boat and trailer behind the camper.
3. If I am able to pull this off, would I hate life while traveling? (I would rate my trailer towing ability at 8 or 9 out of 10).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I do not want to be anywhere on the road near you. I don't think anyone but Class A drivers trained to pull two trailers should be doing so. Tandems are best left to the professionals. Heck for that matter most states don't allow what your wanting to do anyway.
Now to answer your question. It is not about what you can tow at this point. It is about your weight capacity and stopping power. You don't have either one. Especially the stopping power. What is the capacity of that truck? I'm guessing 1500 lbs. So the pin weight of that Cougar has to be under that for sure. Say the camper has a pin weight of 1000lbs and you load the truck with the wife and yourself, plus a few other items. Now add the weight of that 5th wheel hitch, 100lbs if not more. Bam you over weight already and that 1/2 ton is going to be crying for sure. Now you want to break that truck by having it pull a boat also. The answer is in no way would you or should you do this. That 1/2 ton is not a heavy duty truck by no means and was not designed to do what you want to do at all.
Bottom line, good luck with that and no don't do it.

Understood. So what are your thoughts on the camper only. I don’t mean this to sound smart, but if this camper is a 1/2ton 5th why would it not work on my truck? As long as it’s under capacity.

I am looking for some advice. I have a 2019 Ram 1500 with a 5'6" bed and Ram Boxes. Towing capacity for my truck is 11,200lb. The Keystone Cougar 24RDS is 7,300lb dry.

1.Has anyone hauled this model with a truck similar to mine with a 5th wheel(slider) and Ram boxes? Is this combination possible?
2. Kicker: I also want to pull a 1,200lb aluminum boat and trailer behind the camper.
3. If I am able to pull this off, would I hate life while traveling? (I would rate my trailer towing ability at 8 or 9 out of 10).

Dry weight means nothing. GVW is your number. the boat and trailer 1200#? 20% of GVW will likely be your pin weight. A good CAT scale will tell you what the real pin weight is. You can't really fudge the payload of the truck, it is a good way of bending the axle.

I double pull. most coastal states don't allow it but most of the other ones do. As you describe your intentions those that do should allow it. Check the states that you plan on traversing for there Motor vehicle rules on towing. I would rather see someone double pulling that see an appendage on the back so one can carry...... wait for it!!!!..... "one more thing".

for the record: I have towed a 6800#GVW fifth and doubled with a 1000# GVW utility trailer with my 1500 RAM tow capacity is listed as 10500# No issues. I don't drive like some others do and value my truck enough to consider recommendations at 80% capacity, look at my numbers.

Thanks for the info Rolling Chaos and Kevin Pem. My truck is rated for 1800lb payload. I have a friend that has a scrap metal recycling facility with scales. I’ll swing by the in the next few days and weigh my boat and trailer. I’m not exactly sure of the boat and trailer but I’m guessing the tongue weight is around 150lbs on the boat trailer.
Also, is it a “thing” to load the camper a certain way to adjust the pin weight numbers, like load aft of the axle or closer to the axles?

There are a couple of things that stand out to me.
One is "Towing capacity for my truck is 11,200lb" You would have one hell of a time trying to pull that much with your 1500 and do not have payload capacity for a trailer that heavy.
Two is "The Keystone Cougar 24RDS is 7,300lb dry". Do you plan on not putting anything in the trailer? Things like propane, battery, maybe some water? Dry weights mean nothing when it comes to towing. That is the weight the trailer had at the factory BEFORE anything is added. You need to concentrate on the GVW. Then figure about 25% will be on the back axle of the truck.
Far as two trailers, I have done that more than a few times. Easy as can be. You just won't be able to back up more than about 10'. You would need to check with each state you plan on towing doubles in and abide by their laws.

Gronk, so using the 20% rule, if my max payload is 1800#, my GVW for the camper would need to come in at around 9000#. Correct?

Gronk, so using the 20% rule, if my max payload is 1800#, my GVW for the camper would need to come in at around 9000#. Correct?
Try and use this calculator. It may help a tad. 5th Wheel Weight Calculator
Fill it out with a hedge for the unknown being over a slightly. That should help you figure it out better. I don't have all your numbers so I'm going to be off on this . From what I just did you have an available 40lbs you can load when your completely running dry weight and that is just with the 5th wheel camper. We haven't gotten to the boat yet.
If I'm even close to your correct truck and camper weights and capacity , you can't even load yourself and your over.
Like I said though with out knowing all your truck and campers information completely I won't be 100% right. For instance is it a 4x4 or rear wheel drive? What V8 engine does it have? That is information only you will have.

Last edited:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Cougar 24RDS a pull behind camper and not a 5th wheel? If it is then there should be zero discussion about what state this is legal in and what states it isn't. This type of combination is illegal in all states, as it should be (unless something has changed in the past 10 years).

Now if you had a 5th wheel as your initial trailer and then a ball hitch on the back of that you would be legal in some states, depending on your total length.

Latest resources

Back