Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TJ&LadyDi

RVF "Dinosaur"
Arrived at our overnight stopover on the way home from Polson, got parked and now, the Kwikee steps are continually extending and retracting with a herky-jerky motion. They ran that way for several minutes before I got them stopped by turning the ignition key on and timing shutting off the "Exterior Ent/Step" switch to a point where they were fully extended. As a result, they are...for now...remaining extended.

We had the step controller replaced last year while at Nappanee because it fully extended the steps while we were driving and they would not retract. The problem was blamed on water finding its way inside the step controller. We had some light rain during part of the trip, but nothing that I would expect to cause water to get into the controller. Looks like I may be wrong as it appears the controller has failed again.

Anyone have thoughts on other, less complex things that could cause this and might be fairly easy to fix on the road? It being Friday night, there are not repair facilities opened and won't be until Monday. If I could somehow get the step to function reliably, even temporarily, it would sure be a big help. We need to be on the road again tomorrow..

TJ

Hi Jim,

Darn about those stupid steps! Mine did the same thing shortly after I got my coach when I sprayed the underside to wash the salt off. I got a bit too aggressive, apparently, and got the step controller wet; causing it to cycle constantly until I finally disconnected it.

I got mine working again, by taking the module out and leaving it in the sun to dry out.

The ultimate solution was to replace the module with a newer model which is sealed better. Hasn’t done it since.

Did your’s, by chance, get wet?

@Dutch Star Don actually made a shroud, made from a mud flap, to shield his controller.

Will pulling the steps fuse in the front outside electrical compartment disable the step? We're leaving (we hope) in about an hour and want to find a way to deal with the step if I need to. With the "Exterior Ent/Step" in the off position, it settled down last night. I'm hoping that when I start the engine, the over-ride will pull the step in and keep it there. Otherwise, it may be a long trip home.

TJ

Well, the steps are now stuck out! With a lot of duct tape to secure the lower step up (reducing our exposure by about half, we are now on the road. LadyDi has the helm. Will get the step fixed later.

Seriously considering hanging up RVing at this point. Getting fed up with failing technology and poor design.

TJ

Last edited:
Well, the steps are now stuck out! With a lot of duct tape to secure the lower step up (reducing our exposure by about half, we are now on the road. LadyDi has the helm. Will get the step fixed later.

Seriously considering hanging up RVing at this point. Getting fed up with failing technology and poor design.

TJ
So sorry @TJ&LadyDi. Get home, park the beast, have a glass of wine and tomorrow your thoughts will be in a better place. It’ll get fixed and all will be good again.
all good love GIF by Great Big Story

@TJ&LadyDi denied. You're staying as there are insufficient votes for quitting.

Sadly, this is RVing but also a more complex coach. It sounds to me you have a loose ground or faulty controller (again). My first inclination is check the wires beneath the steps and go from there. Maybe a RV mobile tech can take care of this if needed.

I am with @Neal. I wasn’t allowed to disappear only go on ownership sabbatical for a short time period so neither can you @TJ&LadyDi. I feel your pain as no one wants stuff to break especially in transit as a similar thing happened on my VEDP. Get home park it and deal with it later. It will get resolved.

Thanks, folks. At our age, however, it is time to consider all the options. Nothing has been decided, but we are considering buying a summer home in Polson and relocating our S&B residence to the Spokane area. This could be the impetus to move forward; we’ll see.

TJ

Now, for the rest of the story! After driving 350 miles, we arrived home and upon opening the coach door, the @@$&@!&$@ steps were again working. What’s the price of Dynamite these days? ?

TJ

Its time to break out the txakoli and celebrate....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back