Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Leaving Parking Lights on at Rest Stops?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
OP.

When parked overnight in a rest stop area you don’t need to have your parking lights on, semi trucks are able to see you. (Unless fog or dense snow times). Plus truck drivers overwhelmingly know their equipment and are very unlikely to run into you, when pulling in or leaving.

The reason why trucks leave their running lights on is because they leave their engines on which allows them to not worry about battery drain, to be able to use their living quarters with ease, and the dashboard lights are dimmer when parking lights are on. They tend to not like blaring lights on at night in the cab while they are trying to sleep.

Here are some comments from truckers regarding lights... it is dated but topic is same

OP.

When parked overnight in a rest stop area you don’t need to have your parking lights on, semi trucks are able to see you. (Unless fog or dense snow times). Plus truck drivers overwhelmingly know their equipment and are very unlikely to run into you, when pulling in or leaving.

The reason why trucks leave their running lights on is because they leave their engines on which allows them to not worry about battery drain, to be able to use their living quarters with ease, and the dashboard lights are dimmer when parking lights are on. They tend to not like blaring lights on at night in the cab while they are trying to sleep.
You haven’t been around some of today’s truckers. Some trucks on end spots have lost their front end ftprom someone who misjudged the turn.

I almost got hit in broad daylight by a trucker attempting to park next to me. Fortunately I was in the driver seat and hit the horn. Scary to think what might have happened had he come while I was inside. Many are good but there are some scary ones on the road today.

You haven’t been around some of today’s truckers. Some trucks on end spots have lost their front end ftprom someone who misjudged the turn.

I almost got hit in broad daylight by a trucker attempting to park next to me. Fortunately I was in the driver seat and hit the horn. Scary to think what might have happened had he come while I was inside. Many are good but there are some scary ones on the road today.
Totally agree! Lots of newer inexperienced drivers out there today. Park as far from back in parking and exits as possible.

Just a few examples.

Latest resources

Back