Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Leaving Parking Lights on at Rest Stops?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Does anyone leave their parking lights on over night when parked at a rest stop?
I forgot, I travel mostly early morning and quit around 2-3 pm, so I don't use light, but If I did it would be no problem because I run the generator anyway for the AC. :)

Well, my $.02 is... Rest areas are not just for trucks. They are for autos, RV's and yes trucks. There are some "Truck Only rest areas, but they don't have many amenities and are used for truckers to take their required time off.

A rest area is there to allow a tired traveler to take time from driving and relax for safety reasons. There is no real time limit, but yes some do say no overnight parking, but catching 3/4 hrs sleep is fine if you need that much rest. Now I don't necessarily "stay" at a rest stop, but I do stay as long as I need to be safe. If I am traveling a long distance I often stop at a rest stop for 30 min to an hour to take a break and take a nap. You would be surprised how far you can go being refreshed and relaxed. Many rest stops link in FL have security guards for that added security
Sign of the Covid times. Now the truck stops in AZ say trucks only under the rest area sign.

I forgot, I travel mostly early morning and quit around 2-3 pm, so I don't use light, but If I did it would be no problem because I run the generator anyway for the AC. :)
We have the AGS set so the generator will come on, but I’m not sure if the generator would run the parking lights. Those are running off the chassis batteries I’d expect and I’m not sure if the generator will charge up the chassis batteries or not. I know it’ll charge the house batteries and then I could jump the chassis from the house, but obviously no one wants to do that unless there’s a real reason to. Thus far, I’ve just been turning on a couple of rechargable bike tail lights on the few occasions we do find ourselves there.

John, your genset should be charging chassis batteries as well. At least that’s how it works on mine.

To answer your original question, I have never left parking lights on. I will always find a well lit area to park.

John, your genset should be charging chassis batteries as well. At least that’s how it works on mine.

To answer your original question, I have never left parking lights on. I will always find a well lit area to park.
I’ll confirm with Newmar when I’m there next week. I’d next wonder if the AGS would trip if the chassis batteries dipped to a certain level? That is, assume it’s a cool night and AGS never trips for AC, but parking lights are on all night. Would the AGS turn on if the chassis batteries became depleted to a given level?

Well, my $.02 is... Rest areas are not just for trucks. They are for autos, RV's and yes trucks. There are some "Truck Only rest areas, but they don't have many amenities and are used for truckers to take their required time off.

A rest area is there to allow a tired traveler to take time from driving and relax for safety reasons. There is no real time limit, but yes some do say no overnight parking, but catching 3/4 hrs sleep is fine if you need that much rest. Now I don't necessarily "stay" at a rest stop, but I do stay as long as I need to be safe. If I am traveling a long distance I often stop at a rest stop for 30 min to an hour to take a break and take a nap. You would be surprised how far you can go being refreshed and relaxed. Many rest stops link in FL have security guards for that added security

Concur. I'll stop at rest areas and have lunch, walk the dog, stretch my legs. I will not "plan" to spend the night at one, ever. I don't leave a CG without a destination reserved for the next stop. If needed, take a nap, I've done that long ago in a long car trip when I had a poor nights' sleep the prior night. An hour power nap does wonders.

The LEO contingent in our family forbids us to overnight at rest areas. To many responses to those areas because bad things are happening. No Walmart’s either. Cabelas and
Bass Pro are usually OK.

TJ

I guess because of my early days of being a teacher, I actually enjoy the research, and planning for our trips. So far we have not had to resort to any of the above mentioned options. Tonight, we had a stop needed on our trip in Wells, Nevada. I had a bit of doubt about the rv park, “Welcome Station”, but after driving across the desert today, we found it to be a simple, well-organized oasis with a creek,grass, and mostty just rvers, not semi-permanents.I have found the sources I use most are Campground Reviews, and Big Rigs.
These are unusual times, and there are sadly more financially stressed folks out there. I think we have to enjoy travel with a bit more safety in mind. Judy D

Good grief...the way these threads can go sideways and never answer the poor OP’s question. Sorry, a pet peeve of mine and try to catch myself.

John,
If you have LED markers, I’d be almost CERTAIN you could easily last all night with them on.

Next week, have a Tech run an ammeter on your chassis batteries with your markers on.

Please circle back and let me know!

Good grief...the way these threads can go sideways and never answer the poor OP’s question. Sorry, a pet peeve of mine and try to catch myself.

John,
If you have LED markers, I’d be almost CERTAIN you could easily last all night with them on.

Next week, have a Tech run an ammeter on your chassis batteries with your markers on.

Please circle back and let me know!
I stopped paying attention to it a while ago. Figured I’d find my answer at Newmar. This thread left me pretty disappointed in the forum.

Latest resources

Back