DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
The motorhome is located in another state. I would need to either fly or take a multiple day road trip to check it out.

I have a price in mind that I would be comfortable with +/- a few dollars.

Here’s the question: Do I negotiate price with the seller before I make the trip and have the deal contingent on the MH meeting my expectations which would include an inspection by a NRVIA inspector? I think this is the way to do it, but would like to get others’ input/experiences.

Personally, having not done this, I would go see it, negotiate, if agreed then move to contingent upon inspection. No reason to pay an inspector if it's not going to be at a price I'm willing to pay then and there.

Agree, w/ Neal do your due diligence make sure it's the MH you want, then contact the seller and spend enough time getting know them and feel good about them. Explain your situation and that you would like to take several steps in this process. If at anytime you don't feel comfortable walk away, they made more MH's. Once you feel comfortable negotiate a price contingent upon inspection then move forward.

Will tell you what I did. And it worked out well. Before I went to look at the MH I had the towing stuff installed on my tow car. Bought the tow bar and took it with me. I had to walk away from 3 before price and MH were right. You will also learn more about what you really want in the process .

Here’s the question: Do I negotiate price with the seller before I make the trip and have the deal contingent on the MH meeting my expectations which would include an inspection by a NRVIA inspector? I think this is the way to do it, but would like to get others’ input/experiences.
There is so much to be considered in this scenario. But to begin with, I assume the asking price is somewhere in the area of what you are looking to pay, or that you consider to be fair, or you wouldn't be posting this.

So if it's a fair price and you're willing to pay it, tell him you are interested enough to give him a couple hundred bucks to hold it until you have a chance to get there. If the price is more than you feel it is worth, tell him/her and let them know what you feel is fair, or what you feel you will pay. Unless the seller is just emotionally attached to the rig, he/she knows what it is worth and they will accommodate your offer.

Final price is contingent to a acceptable inspection. Make sure everyone is on the same page and have it in writing. If you're going to do the inspection yourself, then fly out and take a look. If you hire someone, then look the results over and if further negotiation if required then adjust your offer.

I've found most sellers to be reasonable people and they already know what is wrong with the vehicle. And they'll work with you to get to where everyone needs to be. After all, it has to work for both parties or there's not going to be a sale.

Good luck!

I’ve bought several different ways depending on the market and price. I bought a plane out of state. It was a really good price and there was a lot of interest in it. We made the deal on the phone, put a deposit on it with contingencies that I liked it when I saw it and pass pre buy inspection.

Thanks guys. Really good input here.

We know what we want, and I know what I’m willing to pay to get it. There’s one coach that meets our criteria but he’s priced about $30K above what I think is a “pull the trigger” price based on what I see similar units priced at and what my insurance company says is FMV. What I don't want to do is go all that way, have the coach check out, and then insult the guy with my offer.

I know there are numerous ways to skin this cat, so thank you all for your valued input. Cheers.

What I don't want to do is go all that way, have the coach check out, and then insult the guy with my offer.
If you're low-balling him to take advantage, then he would probably get irritated. But if you're offering the market price, then it's my guess he's expecting to come down some. Nobody sets the asking price as what they expect to get, the set it so they can come down a bit. Give him the offer and take it from there.

Thanks guys. Really good input here.

We know what we want, and I know what I’m willing to pay to get it. There’s one coach that meets our criteria but he’s priced about $30K above what I think is a “pull the trigger” price based on what I see similar units priced at and what my insurance company says is FMV. What I don't want to do is go all that way, have the coach check out, and then insult the guy with my offer.

I know there are numerous ways to skin this cat, so thank you all for your valued input. Cheers.

Just be straight with him, say exactly what you said here. You're probably not going to upset the guy. Tell him it's OK with you to pass on your offer.

Lots and lots of that particular MH were most likely built that particular year.

We are in Texas and bought from an individual in Florida. After looking at his pix on RV Trader and some email exchanges, we had a few phone conversations, all about his experience with the unit, condition, repairs, maintenance, etc., but did not negotiate a price. Then I arranged for an inspector to look it over and we flew to Florida to meet with the owner and inspector, and get the inspector's input. Based on his opinions, we made the decision that we would buy this one, so the owner and I negotiated and reached an agreement while we were still in Florida. I drove the toad back a couple of weeks later and made the trip back to Texas.

Latest resources

Back