• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

turbopilot

RVF Supporter
Fulltimer
No
New forum for LightShip position holders. Is this the new "Airstream" for the future? I think so. Took a position 6 months ago.

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 8.25.14 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 8.24.16 AM.jpg

Lifespan of the batteries would be a concern and the cost to replace them. That could have a big impact on resale or even using as a trade in. A 20 year old RV is not uncommon but based on todays batteries this may have a 8-10 year service life. I do like the idea of a powered drivetrain. Diesel/electric would be cool. Once parked the diesel generator could power the coach.

$150,000? hmm seems a bit over priced IMO
Unless the venture capitalists supporting this concept are prepared to sell them at a loss I suspect the price will be higher than $300k. This "trailer" (since this thing is self powered it is really not a trailer) is aimed at the Tesla Cybertruck, Rivian and Ford Lightning demographic. The solar panel array alone is probably worth $50k. Powered chassis maybe $60K. Solar panel array and associated high voltage DC battery is setup to backup your house or back charge your EV pickup.

Screenshot 2023-09-08 at 11.31.29.png

Unless the venture capitalists supporting this concept are prepared to sell them at a loss I suspect the price will be higher than $300k. This "trailer" (since this thing is self powered it is really not a trailer) is aimed at the Tesla Cybertruck, Rivian and Ford Lightning demographic. The solar panel array alone is probably worth $50k. Powered chassis maybe $60K. Solar panel array and associated high voltage DC battery is setup to backup your house or back charge your EV pickup.

View attachment 20613

that's no $50K solar array, that looks to be about 18-20 panels. I had 40 on my home that didn't even cost $50K, I paid $23,000 installed. for 20 200 watt panels and 20 300 watt panels.

I would say at best that is a $15k-$20k setup at retail.

Lifespan of the batteries would be a concern and the cost to replace them. That could have a big impact on resale or even using as a trade in. A 20 year old RV is not uncommon but based on todays batteries this may have a 8-10 year service life. I do like the idea of a powered drivetrain. Diesel/electric would be cool. Once parked the diesel generator could power the coach.
Based on todays batteries and the likely amount of cycles they would receive in a trailer the batteries life would probably be 30 to 50 years….or longer.

Based on todays batteries and the likely amount of cycles they would receive in a trailer the batteries life would probably be 30 to 50 years….or longer.
Telsa battery warranty is 8 years. If true then maybe the trailer will come with a 30 year battery warranty and that would be a huge selling point.
The U.S. Department of Energy, meanwhile, predicts today's EV batteries ought to last a good deal past their warranty period, with these packs' service lives clocking in at between 12 and 15 years if used in moderate climates. Plan on a service life of between 8 and 12 years if your EV is regularly used in more extreme conditions.

Telsa battery warranty is 8 years. If true then maybe the trailer will come with a 30 year battery warranty and that would be a huge selling point.
I doubt they’ll make the warranty that long. Some engines last 20 years or more but their warranties are only 3 to 5 years. Warranties are huge liabilities for manufacturers.

A tesla battery probably gets more cycles in a year than a trailer battery does in 10 years. Batteries don’t care much about age. They care about cycles.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back