Legacy
RV Length
16 LOA
TOW/TOAD
Ford F150 2.7
Fulltimer
No
Hello campers -

I need to purchase a new battery for my 2001 Casita and was considering a 100 Ah Lithium Ion battery. However, a friend told me that it isn't
compatible with the converter / charger and you can't just simply swap it out for an AGM battery.
Can someone please advise me on this? Thanks

As usual, it depends…
My Magnum charger/inverter does not have a Lithium setting, but it does allow manual settings, which I use to mimic the Lithium settings. I would go by your battery manufacturers recommendations on charge settings and see if the charger has the ability to mimic those settings.

Hope this helps.

First you are probably considering lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries, not Lithium Ion. For lithium ion batteries there are a bunch of further hoops you have to jump through - better energy storage, but a lot more to it.

If you trailer still has the OE converter/charger, then yes I’d say your friend is probably correct that it is not compatible with lithium batteries, but AGM batteries may be an option. Best way to find out is to determin the make and model and look up the specs.

The other option is to upgrade your charging equipment while you're at it. You’ll spend a lot more money, but if your goal is more power for longer periods while boondocking, then that would be a good solution. If you just want to replace your battery and get on with typical camping, then an AGM or conventional deep cycle LA battey is probably your best choice.

As usual, it depends…
My Magnum charger/inverter does not have a Lithium setting, but it does allow manual settings, which I use to mimic the Lithium settings. I would go by your battery manufacturers recommendations on charge settings and see if the charger has the ability to mimic those settings.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. The camper is new to me today! But needs a new battery. I’m impressed by the capabilities of Lithium Iron Phosphate so thought I’d spring for that. I doubt if the 2001 casita has any adjustable settings. I’ll get AGM until I know more…

First you are probably considering lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries, not Lithium Ion. For lithium ion batteries there are a bunch of further hoops you have to jump through - better energy storage, but a lot more to it.

If you trailer still has the OE converter/charger, then yes I’d say your friend is probably correct that it is not compatible with lithium batteries, but AGM batteries may be an option. Best way to find out is to determin the make and model and look up the specs.

The other option is to upgrade your charging equipment while you're at it. You’ll spend a lot more money, but if your goal is more power for longer periods while boondocking, then that would be a good solution. If you just want to replace your battery and get on with typical camping, then an AGM or conventional deep cycle LA battey is probably your best choice.
Thank you - please see my reply to Richpatty above - thanks again

Latest resources

Back