Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Load shedding on GEN? Didn't expect it...

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Interesting as I'm running the GEN (ONAN 8K) as the pedestal breaker tripped earlier and with 2 AC's, AC I/II on OASIS ON, and Washer and Dryer running, I'm load shedding. I figured the 8K GEN would cover everything I could run on this coach but I guess not. I turned off the electric heating elements on OASIS and turned burner ON so the AC's wouldn't shed as it's hot here in AL. Especially with having fixed that situation recently with one side out electrically on OASIS heating elements I didn't realize how many amps that was drawing. This probably explains how I stressed the pedestal. It was interesting to see I was load shedding when the GEN was powering the coach. Wonder how 50A pedestals can typically handle AC's, OASIS, and Washer/Dryer typically without a problem? Hmmm

The pedestal is providing two legs of 50 each. 8k generator provides little more than 60 amps

Last edited:
On generator, my Ventana LE 4037 will kick the circuit breaker on the generator when you try to run all three air conditioners. Called Newmar customer service they told me "Yep it sure will". All three run fine on shore power.

Can’t you use some of your solar to supplement your electricity needs?

Probably by setting Magnum to SOC IN and that would take all inverter loads off of shore power. Was a good thing to learn from. I thought in my coach GEN would cover all needs. Wrong.

Latest resources

Back