RV Model
Imperial
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Fiat
Fulltimer
Yes
Hi folks.

I'll be receiving a Max Transit Cat 18 in a few days, and I have a Verizon activation question.

I had a Pepwave BR-1 which did great for several years. Then I took advantage of the Verizon Prepaid Unlimited, and Verizon took advantage of me. They declared that the BR-1 was so old it couldn't be activated on the network. At the time I was talking to them Voip _via the BR-1_. Fast forwarding, I ended up with a Verizon 8800L hotspot, used it for a while, and then found that I couldn't get Verizon where I was for a year and a half and let the plan lapse.

A bit more than a month ago I reactivated the 8800L on the 150g plan. The 8800L is somewhat ok with the two antennae on the roof but based on the old BR-1 I expect the Max Transit to be much better.

So...do I need to "officially" add the Max Transit to my Verizon account, or can I just stick the sim out of the 8800L in it, since it's a data sim used in a "device" and not a phone or tablet? Thanks.

I believe just putting the SIM in the unit will work fine.

I'm inclined to agree with Neal. I assume the sim for the 8800L will be the same size as what goes into the CAT-18. I would stick it in slot A & power it up with the default settings, It should get connected within a few minutes.
To make life easier, I would connect a PC via Ethernet during the initial setup.
Good luck, let us know how things go.

I got the Max Transit installed this evening. Took only a leisurely hour or so. The sim is nano but I had the adaptor provided by TechnoRV. Verizon immediately noticed that I'd put the sim in a new device and emailed me to check my account etc; the only thing I noticed is where previously the account said I was limited to 720p streaming it now says 1080p streaming; might just be a coincidence. Looks good so far.

I can't check speed yet. The _one_ Verizon site in the area drops down to two cans and a string in the evening when everyone gets on their devices.

As a point of reference; I have 4 Verizon sims installed in 4 different devices. I was concerned about getting the correct sim in the correct device. Verizon support indicated the sims would be interchangeable. Your experience seems to validate that. I find it interesting they contacted you.
Thanks for feedback.

60.08 Mbps this morning here in the boonies near Demopolis, Ala.

Somewhere in the Verizon support docs I read that one should just put the sim in the new device when on a postpaid plan so I figured that I'd just see what happens on a prepaid plan. The data use status tab appears to have gone away on this line on Myverizon.

No, there used to be a percent-data-remaining note on myverizon; it's still there for the phone but went away for the data device. A bit odd but no big deal.

Latest resources

Back