Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Memphis to Tampa/Sarasota area - what is best route?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tnedator

RVF Supporter
I'll be driving from Arkansas (a couple hours from Memphis) to the Sarasota area.

RV Trip Wizard shows a route from Memphis to Birmingham to Atlanta and then down 75 into Florida.

My brother in law goes Memphis, Birmingham, Montgomery down to 10 and then across the and then down 75. I've been that way once, and I recall a lot of smaller roads, but he likes it as it avoids Atlanta.

Any thoughts on best route? I'll be driving relatively long days and want to get there in in two long days, or a short day and two full days.

Sharing a map pic can help too...

I have gone both ways and I personally like to avoid Atlanta unless you can go through there like 1am-4am. It is quicker if you can get through it but that usually dont happen. Going your brother in laws suggested route does have some two lane roads but they are not that bad. I have also taken 55 to Jackson Mississippi all the way to 10 then across or from Jackson to Hattiesburg to Mobile.

This is the general route we have done a few times. We avoid Atlanta whenever possible. Our experience has been we either spend more time in traffic in Atlanta or we spend time driving through some small towns on state roads. We prefer the less stressful/quieter state roads.

Attachments

• 3648A1D5-BBDE-4386-80F7-CBB9747EE3A2.jpeg
    3648A1D5-BBDE-4386-80F7-CBB9747EE3A2.jpeg
    862.2 KB · Views: 8
I'll be driving from Arkansas (a couple hours from Memphis) to the Sarasota area.

RV Trip Wizard shows a route from Memphis to Birmingham to Atlanta and then down 75 into Florida.

My brother in law goes Memphis, Birmingham, Montgomery down to 10 and then across the and then down 75. I've been that way once, and I recall a lot of smaller roads, but he likes it as it avoids Atlanta.

Any thoughts on best route? I'll be driving relatively long days and want to get there in in two long days, or a short day and two full days.
I've been to/from Nappanee, IN a couple times and from FL, the most stressless way is 75 to 10 to Dothan, AL to Montgomery to Birmingham and then 65 N. So, for you to pick up 22 to Birmingham is what I'd take.
I also like to take backroads and chill out - I usually take 75 N and then around Brooksville I'll head westward over to 98 and head up to Tallahassee shifting to 19 in Perry. I stay the night at Tallahassee RV Park - a nice place to overnight. From there it is W on 10.

Latest resources

Back