Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Minnie Winnie Generator starting issues! HELP HELP!!!!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

lostone1413

RVF Newbee
I have a 1986 Minne Winnie. The Generator will only start if the RV is running and I'm using the dual battery switch. When I try and start it without using the battery switch allot of times the generator won't even click. I replaced the batteries. Both of them. They both read 12.7 volts. More then enough to start the generator. Other issues that started with the generator not starting are. If you start the generator using the dual switch everything works fine with the 120 and 12 volts inside the motor home if you leave the motor home plugged in the house outlet. When you unplug the motor home from the house and haven't started the generator you don't have 12 volts going to the motor home. At time when I start the generator with the dual switch on and everything is running when I shut off the motor home off sometimes but not all the time the generator just dies. I've had three people in the business look at it. None have figured out what is wrong with the motor home . What I was told was it was a transfer switch for the Generator. I was also told that in 86 they didn't have a transfer switch for the generator. I have to manually plug and unplug the power cord. Then I was told it could be the inverter. I was then told that the inverter has nothing to do with it. To me I feel all the issues are tied together. If I get the generator to start maybe everything else will work fine. Do you think it is one issue with the generator and the lights? If so you have any idea at to what could cause all this ??

Look first for a house battery disconnect switch. Then make sure all cables have a good connection at all terminals. My guess is there is a box with relays that your switch your using controls.

It was typical for the generator to have a receptacle the house cord plugged into, find that and plug the house cord in there.

Then we can talk about what didn't get fixed.

Latest resources

Back