Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Andy V

RVF Newbee
Hello everyone I am new to this site. I have been trailering my 34 foot TT for about 6 years now time sure passes quick. Anyway, my family has recently purchased a mew home with RV parking it is tight and I would like to know if anyone has used a trailer dolly with a 10,000+ capacity and which one is worth buying that thanks.

When you say "Tight" do you mean you do not have room to back the unit in to the space?
Or are you just uncomfortable backing the unit in to the spot? If this is the case find a very good spotter and take your time.

To your question. There are several large Trailer Dolly devices on the market. The only persons that I have seen operate them are small dealers or manufacturers that move trailers around a remote yard.
However, most people in the business I believe use a fork lift with a trailer ball attached.

I had no place to park my trailer camper, in fact had no trailer camper. I realized I could squeeze in a 7' wide 17' long trailer if I added a few feet to my fence, and laid gravel, (also removed a tree) after a month of work, we had a parking spot ready. I backed her in with more skill than a newbie should posess, and we have inches on either side. So we can't open the door.

It dawns on me, if I could park the trailer backwards.. I could open the door (because of how the fence is) but there's no way to do that.

Then I started thinking 'ooh trailer dolly' but $5000 for one that can pull on a 4% incline on gravel! no thanks.
What about an ATV?
what about a riding mower?
no point because they'd be locked permanently in my back yard with no way out.

Then I thought what about installing a receiver hitch on the BACK of my trailer, for parking only.
Called the local hitch place and they said 'never done it, probably shouldn't be done.'

I'm really wanting to find an affordable way to back my trailer into it's tight parking spot, BACKWARDS.
If you have ideas I'm all ears, but I drew this pic to help.
1683985625460.png

I bought a trailer once that was placed well before there landscaping had grown around it. Topping that off with the fence they put in over the years. The trailer was 30ft long and that presented a problem!!!

What I did was put a hitch on the passenger side front of my van. With the hitch on the passenger side I could have a clear view along the side of the trailer, and in front, allowed much better control for placing the trailer.

As a side it made putting a boat in the water much easier.

my neighbor had a hitch on the front of his truck. That is a great idea but won't work as a solution for my issue, because the trailer wouldn't reverse directions. I need to put a reciever hitch on the back end of it, and push it back in, or use a trailer dolly, or an ATV or.. some solution I haven't thought of yet. to park a trailer, in such a way as the door is on the opposite side.

What about a nonpowered dolly and a 115V winch in the backyard to pull it into place? This would work best if you were to be pulling it uphill as downhill would require a remote control for the trailer brakes.

@Bigblockyeti hey! yeah. I had the fleeting thought of using a winch before, but hadn't connected that to the idea of a non-motorized trolly.. hrm, now we're getting somewhere!
Uphill to park then downhill to get it back out. I can laughingly imagine a scenario where I get it IN parked backwards but can't get it back out.. lol.

@Bigblockyeti hey! yeah. I had the fleeting thought of using a winch before, but hadn't connected that to the idea of a non-motorized trolly.. hrm, now we're getting somewhere!
Uphill to park then downhill to get it back out. I can laughingly imagine a scenario where I get it IN parked backwards but can't get it back out.. lol.
Gravity is pretty reliable, making sure it's headed exactly where you need it to be could be another story but hopefully not too difficult to figure out. I think that not being attached to a tow vehicle, I'd want a redundant system in place to keep it from rolling away if the cable broke whether pulling into place or rolling out of place to where a tow vehicle could be hitched. A remote trailer brake controller would be my first choice, possibly a couple tire chocks that got moved every couple feet as well to offer tertiary control if all hell breaks loose.

Gravity is pretty reliable, making sure it's headed exactly where you need it to be could be another story but hopefully not too difficult to figure out. I think that not being attached to a tow vehicle, I'd want a redundant system in place to keep it from rolling away if the cable broke whether pulling into place or rolling out of place to where a tow vehicle could be hitched. A remote trailer brake controller would be my first choice, possibly a couple tire chocks that got moved every couple feet as well to offer tertiary control if all hell breaks loose.
Honestly I don't think I would recommend at all. To much at risk this is an owner liability issue, I will stay out of it.

Latest resources

Back