• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Move over laws

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
As I understand move over laws, they apply to emergency vehicles. Thus a civilian with a flat tire or such doesn't apply.

I agree, I always try to move over when I encounter any vehicle on the shoulder or when I observe a vehicle proceeding on an entrance ramp. Many won't get to highway speed before moving into the travel lane.

As I understand move over laws, they apply to emergency vehicles. Thus a civilian with a flat tire or such doesn't apply.

I agree, I always try to move over when I encounter any vehicle on the shoulder or when I observe a vehicle proceeding on an entrance ramp. Many won't get to highway speed before moving into the travel lane.
The Virginia law looks like it applies to civilian vehicles also, if the hazard lights are flashing -
Virginia law (§ 46.2-921.1) states that “upon approaching a stationary vehicle that is displaying a flashing, blinking or alternating blue, red or amber light or lights,” drivers shall: Move over etc etc

The Virginia law looks like it applies to civilian vehicles also, if the hazard lights are flashing -
Virginia law (§ 46.2-921.1) states that “upon approaching a stationary vehicle that is displaying a flashing, blinking or alternating blue, red or amber light or lights,” drivers shall: Move over etc etc
My understanding as well, and even if its not the law in every state, I do it just to stay safe and prevent any unwanted vehicular or pedestrian interaction.

Driving my motorhome(s) has opened my eyes to just how unsafe our highways are from the risks people take. That stretch of I-95 between Richmond and DC will curl your hair.

Then again, maybe I drove that way when I was younger and I’m just an old man screaming at clouds.

Driving my motorhome(s) has opened my eyes to just how unsafe our highways are from the risks people take. That stretch of I-95 between Richmond and DC will curl your hair.

Then again, maybe I drove that way when I was younger and I’m just an old man screaming at clouds.
So true! And now that I live in Florida, I don't have to drive that stretch of highway!

Now, I get to enjoy(NOT), I-95 from Jacksonville to St. Augustine! That will make your hair fall out!;) Mine is mostly gone now!

Be SAFE EVERYONE!

I try to get over when I can, a lot of times clowns fly by blocking me from getting over.

When I had a travel trailer I had a flat on the interstate only about 6 miles from my house. On the curb side so I thought I'd just change it. NOBODY would get over.

Semis were the worst, they'd fly by me rocking that 35 ft windjammer. One reason I despise them today and don't mind taking up one of their parking spots with my pusher at a rest area. I guess the other would be getting glared at when I'm in the truck lanes at the truck stop.

I ended up unhooking, going home and getting the Expedition and we parked it a ways behind the trailer and it helped a little with people getting over. 2 state cops went by me, neither offered to stop and help with their lights.

I haven't had a flat since but if I do I'm calling roadside assistance.
I do notice that semis are no longer "knights of the road". They drive those semi's like they're driving race cars: going way over the speed limit, lining up side by side at stoplights, and barricading freeways by going side by side on multi-lanes, (especially I-45 between Houston and Dallas!).
If you want a real eye-opener, look up some youtube vids on dumb truckers.
That said, I always get over even when I'm in my tiny four wheeler, but sometimes it's impossible because drivers are SO afraid I'll get in front of THEM that they actually speed up and block me in! It seems to me that drivers are much less courteous than usual, and I noticed it's worse in high traffic areas. We frequently travel to Houston, and we notice that traffic speeds up considerably, as it gets heavier when we approach Houston.

My understanding as well, and even if its not the law in every state, I do it just to stay safe and prevent any unwanted vehicular or pedestrian interaction.
haha. " unwanted interaction ". no kiddin'

We have a lot of ramps on the freeway in our town and it annoys me that people will not move over for someone approaching on the ramp, even when there's no one at all in the left lane. Local yokels driving home, focused on that beer and TV. 🙄

I do it all the time, in SUV, in MH. Usually make arrangement with trucker on the radio to let me in or vice versa, when we get close.
CB? We've thought about getting one for the MH.

Thats a nice little rant Neal. Unfortunately none of the inconsiderate knucklehead offenders will read it.

I’d like to add that if a flare pattern is needed, start by walking all the way down the shoulder to the farthest point back in your pattern with a lit flare in your hand, and work your way progressively back to the disabled vehicle, laying an increasingly widening pattern, rather than workimg from the vehicle back down the road. That way you start going out into the roadway at the narrowest part of your pattern (closest to the shoulder), you are not in the road at the widest part of your pattern first, and drivers have more time to react without putting yourself in as much danger.

Working on the roadside is naturally very hazardous and when possible it's also best to have a spotter (watching oncoming traffic and not the person working) and some previously agreed upon warnings and commands so there is no time wasted, and no ambiguity in an emergency situation. Getting a trooper out there with a blue and red light bar was a good call.
Thanks, excellent suggestion - I wouldn't have thought of that.

Latest resources

Back