Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Today I took might ole Chevy Colorado for an oil change and state inspection. As the program goes, the service advisor and tech offer recommended service, aka revenue. Air filter and fuel induction cleaning, so yeah yeah, do it. Especially with all the crud that this vehicle must ingest behind a motorhome, no doubt the air filter needs replacing, probably after each trip!

So I get my car after it's done and go get a haircut, stop into Home Depot to check out something I'm fighting the impulse to get that of course I don't need, fortunately it's out of stock at least until August and I leave. I hit the highway heading home and the car loses power and tells me it will operate at a lower power or something yeah, how about NO power. So off to the side of the road I got and it's DEAD! Lucky me I have the battery disconnect so let me reboot the car. Nope, she be dead!

As you can guess, this is where the drama begins, or more like high blood pressure. That move over law? What move over law? I have to wait to get out of my car and then hope to not die in the process. Good grief, no one moves the heck over! Two lanes on my direction of the highway. I call the dealership as I'm all of a mile from them, I obviously didn't go far so they send the tech that did my work with a diagnostics box. Meanwhile I call 911 who forwarded me to the State Police, who I didn't think to call first (which I think is 711). I asked for someone to show as they will likely work on my car on the side of the road. It took about 15 minutes for a trooper to arrive. Meanwhile the tech arrived first, couldn't get out of his car even with me signaling people to move over which of course they didn't and probably several unknowingly signaled I was #1 to them. The trooper shows up and of course everyone moves over. I tell him how nice it is they do that for him, he says of course they don't always...

So anyways, I was dead in place, apparently when he installed the air filter a blade of the filter touched something preventing it from electronically opening/closing such as fuel or air so the engine won't run. This era of vehicles are "fly by wire" there are no cables that drive these connections now so if the computer senses something not open or closed then you're done. It's reliable as we all know but when someone pooches the install it's game over.

Tow truck came, car fixed, on my way 4 hours after original departure. But the point is, what the heck is the problem with people and move over laws? Most of us driving RV's are probably pretty good about it. I know I'm preaching to the choir, we know most of the drivers on the highway are selfish just like on the southbound back to the dealership one lane was closed. So of course people have to drive all the way down the closing down lane to merge in instead of falling in line in the single file traffic. Extremely selfish and yeah, we've all done it! I loved though how an 18 wheeler pulled to the middle to block others from doing it. I've wanted to do that in my RV at times but I don't care to be targeted.

The end.

I try to get over when I can, a lot of times clowns fly by blocking me from getting over.

When I had a travel trailer I had a flat on the interstate only about 6 miles from my house. On the curb side so I thought I'd just change it. NOBODY would get over.

Semis were the worst, they'd fly by me rocking that 35 ft windjammer. One reason I despise them today and don't mind taking up one of their parking spots with my pusher at a rest area. I guess the other would be getting glared at when I'm in the truck lanes at the truck stop.

I ended up unhooking, going home and getting the Expedition and we parked it a ways behind the trailer and it helped a little with people getting over. 2 state cops went by me, neither offered to stop and help with their lights.

I haven't had a flat since but if I do I'm calling roadside assistance.

Sounds like a fun day, Neal! As was yours, Fish. It's a good reminder to all of us to pull over whenever someone is stopped on the side of the road. My experience, contrary to yours, Fish, has been that most truckers are really good at doing that. But we can at least get the RV world to do it.

loved though how an 18 wheeler pulled to the middle to block others from doing it. I've wanted to do that in my RV at times but I don't care to be targeted.

The end.
I do it all the time, in SUV, in MH. Usually make arrangement with trucker on the radio to let me in or vice versa, when we get close.

I have to admit for the most part people in the South have gotten the message and will move over. The ones that don't do it stick out like a sore thumb and I'm hoping will be EZ for the cops to pull over if they see them.

I have to admit for the most part people in the South have gotten the message and will move over. The ones that don't do it stick out like a sore thumb and I'm hoping will be EZ for the cops to pull over if they see them.
I agree. Just did a trip from Texas to Florida, to Tennessee, and back to Texas. Lots of vehicles on side of road, and rarely saw a vehicle that didn't move over.

Thats a nice little rant Neal. Unfortunately none of the inconsiderate knucklehead offenders will read it.

I’d like to add that if a flare pattern is needed, start by walking all the way down the shoulder to the farthest point back in your pattern with a lit flare in your hand, and work your way progressively back to the disabled vehicle, laying an increasingly widening pattern, rather than workimg from the vehicle back down the road. That way you start going out into the roadway at the narrowest part of your pattern (closest to the shoulder), you are not in the road at the widest part of your pattern first, and drivers have more time to react without putting yourself in as much danger.

Working on the roadside is naturally very hazardous and when possible it's also best to have a spotter (watching oncoming traffic and not the person working) and some previously agreed upon warnings and commands so there is no time wasted, and no ambiguity in an emergency situation. Getting a trooper out there with a blue and red light bar was a good call.

I loved though how an 18 wheeler pulled to the middle to block others from doing it. I've wanted to do that in my RV at times but I don't care to be targeted.
I think most of us have thought about doing something like that. I used to drive flatbeds and nearly did back then too, the bigger you are the less likely they'll be able to squeeze by or at least try... The main reason I don't though is you never know who's doing it. While I agree that 99.99% of the people doing it are ass$#@! there could be someone rushing to the hospital or one of many other reasons. I know that when I've had to rush someone to get medical care, I used the shoulder, the entire on ramp etc and plenty of people probably cursed me out.

At the end of the day I just decided to be less in a hurry and if people want to do that, it really doesn't change my life. They'll get wherever they're going 10 secs earlier, if that, and probably stressed from driving like that and I'll get where I'm going... whenever I do, and my heart rate will be the same it was when I left.

At the end of the day I just decided to be less in a hurry and if people want to do that, it really doesn't change my life. They'll get wherever they're going 10 secs earlier, if that, and probably stressed from driving like that and I'll get where I'm going... whenever I do, and my heart rate will be the same it was when I left.
My approach as well - just makes like easier. Also these days you never know when you might encounter a road-rager which could ruin your day too.

Since we're bitching here's something else that REALLY grinds my gears.

I hardly ever pass anyone in my motorhome. 43 ft rv pulling truck that's almost 20 ft long and then maybe 3 ft for the towbar? That's 66 ft.
But when I do pass someone on the interstate because they're creeping along to the point of being unsafe, and then I make sure and give myself room before pulling back in, it seems like half the time some jackoff in a little car will whip by me on the right, barely missing me and the vehicle I just passed, and block my return to the right lane.
And since they floor it and it happens so fast lots of times you can't see them.

And another thing...

Riding in the right lane to stay out of everyone's way. Don't get over to the left at entrance ramps unless the highway is empty because I know I'll hold up traffic and have a hard time getting back into the right lane...
So slow down a little to let them in and the car getting on the interstate also slows down.
Speed up a little because they look like they'll be coming in behind you and they floor it.

Every damn time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back