Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

trogladyte

RVF Newbee
We're in the planning stages of going fulltime RVing. We love camping so our intention is to spend as much time as we can on free sites/boondocking. We run a web design business so will need internet access and reliable power.

For people in our proposed lifestyle, what is your list of must have "things"? Solar - how big, generator, etc?

Boondocking / dry camping - solar is probably a must have. You really don't want to run the GEN and destroy the peace of your escape. LifePO4 batteries are a nice complement but not required but will make the solar experience a better bang for your buck especially in winter when the sun is at a lower declination. 12V accessories such as a Pepwave Wi-Fi/Cellular router (I use the BR1 Pro 5G). Starlink is the new thing on the block but it's power hungry and not 12V (yet) but I hope it's coming.

Neal just taught me something! I didn't know that starlink was an energy hog. Starlink is my goto plan, but I am not having to run a web business. For off grid remote internet it's the best service provider I ever had.

In my opinion the number one thing you must have, is a conservative mindset. You know what I mean? Don't run water when you're rinsing dishes, soap up with the shower valve off. Use the water most people let run down the drain while they wait for the hot water.
Turn lights off when you don't need them. The idea is, if you have to hunt water, or dump when the deadline draws near, you may become weary of what could be a wonderful life. One more thing! Washers, though nice require more work and are more inconvenient, than trips to a laundromat (we would (I am by myself now) use several machines and be finished in 1/4 the time needed at home. Not to mention the hassle of getting and getting rid of water).

Solar is the best investment you can make for the life you are considering. A back-up generator is good to have but more important, is as much Solar as you have space for.

I have two systems, one a 24v 200ah battery bank of Northstar blues, a carbon lead technology (Main system). And a 12v 400ah Agm back-up system (no lithium for me! I am against it). Having to revert back to a generator is the most inconvenient, undesirable thing I can think of. So if you rely on electricity SOLAR WITH BACK-UP!!! Oh I have 3000w watts of solar, used panels, with 4@60amp controllers (remember I said back-ups are important).

We're in the planning stages of going fulltime RVing. We love camping so our intention is to spend as much time as we can on free sites/boondocking. We run a web design business so will need internet access and reliable power.

For people in our proposed lifestyle, what is your list of must have "things"? Solar - how big, generator, etc?
Lots of good advice given already but one important one is being overlooked. Like Kevin's advice re water usage you must treat your trash the same. You gotta pack out what you pack in and I was amazed at the amount of garbage that built up when we first began boon docking. Plastic was our biggest enemy (leave the plastic bags with the store) and food scraps can get pretty smelly sitting in the desert sun after a few days so we prepare only enough food to feed ourselves with no left overs. Cardboard and paper can be added to a campfire.

Safe travels

Darrell

ice maker

IMO a personal locator beacon and/or satellite based emergency communications device is top priority..

How about on board reverse osmosis water system that keeps the brine water to shower with?
1f4a6.png
Water is a basic necessity. No plastic bottles to get rid of as above poster stated.

Last edited:
How about on borad reverse osmosis water system that keeps the brine water to shower with?
1f4a6.png
Water is a basic necessity. No plastic bottles to get rid of as above poster stated.
This is not hard to do!!! And yes one of my first projects, when I get a new rig. However I do it differently.
What is behind my system is the fact I don't replenish the water holding tank til it is way down (maybe 1/8 tank). I run the discard line back into the fresh water tank.

If you want more water you can get a cheap and lightweight bladder and also a drill operated pump if you need to transfer water from bladder to your on board tank. The problem usually is not water available but how you manage your tanks as we all know.

Latest resources

Back