My thoughts on Rettrobands by NIRVC

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
from a friend of mine -
"Rettroband vs Red Diamond will have some differences, albeit minor. Rettroband has a fixed ring attached to the wheel to support the rubber in the event of a blowout, keeping the tire carcass under the wheel. Red Diamond has freewheeling rollers that let the rubber and ring spin around the wheel so the tire belting isn't further shredded by stretching.

In reality the difference in performance for an RV is probably minimal, since in the event of a flat you're stopping as soon as possible. But the rollerized Hutchinson (Red Diamond) has potential to be driven short distances even with a damaged tire where the Rettroband can't. Hutchinson is what's put inside of JLTV tires to enable them to continue moving even after all the tires are blown out."

So what is the diameter of a DP tire about 36 inches?
What is the outside diameter of the band? My wild guess is 29 inches. I really don't know but it is good for this exercise.

29×3.1416(or pi)=91 inches circumference.
36×pi =113 inches.

So every rotation is a frictional tearing on both band and tire of 22 inches. So it takes 5 rotations at high stress for the band tire junction to make one complete rotation around the inside of the tire. Can you see the value of a bearing???

If I were in the market, I would only consider the one that rotated, even if the price was higher. After all, how many rotations to stand still from let's say 70.

I wonder if they are going to release them for other chassis as well?

We are different having the M2 chassis but knowing someone that blew a front tire and totaled both SuperC and trailer I plan on getting something installed.

Well, I have reached out to both NIRVC Nashville as well as the individual listed as the contact for Red Diamond.

Requested comparison info between Red Diamond and Retrobands as well as pricing for the 315s.

Will summarize what I get when it arrives.

As an edit - the Florida location for Red Diamond is North Trail so I called them and they are getting me a quote. Will post once I have the information.

Got the quote from NIRVC for the install on the 315s our Superstar has - $4,542.08. About what I was expecting based on all the conversations.

When I get the info from North Trail on the install cost of the Red Diamonds I’ll add that information as well. They did say they could be installed on the M2 since we don’t have the internal tire pressure monitor.

Just as an update - the individual listed on the Red Diamond website as the email contact is out until after Christmas so that information probably won’t be coming until they return.

I'm going with Red Diamonds and was quoted $4,890 for parts and install on my 365's. Quote was from Spartan in Charlotte, MI.

I'm going with Red Diamonds and was quoted $4,890 for parts and install on my 365's. Quote was from Spartan in Charlotte, MI.
Good to know.

That is not much different than the Retrobands.

North Trail returned my call and knew they would be high but the quote was right around $6,800.

Time for some more phone calls 😊

Well, as an update, I did get the same quote from Spartan in Charlotte, MI.

Had to provide the model number of the wheels on our Superstar so they could verify. Since they may have been different than what Spartan uses they had to confirm.

They also said there is an installer closer to Nappanee so I may do some research. Will be at the mothership in June to get the rest of the first year warranty items corrected.

Well, as an update, I did get the same quote from Spartan in Charlotte, MI.

Had to provide the model number of the wheels on our Superstar so they could verify. Since they may have been different than what Spartan uses they had to confirm.

They also said there is an installer closer to Nappanee so I may do some research. Will be at the mothership in June to get the rest of the first year warranty items corrected.
Have an appointment at the Spartan factory in June to have the Red Diamonds installed.

Model number of the front wheel on our Superstar confirmed to work with them.

Latest resources

Back