Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jmr40777

RVF Regular
We need your help. My wife and I want a travel trailer but are unsure which one to get. We’d like something with a N-S facing bed, a U-shaped dinette, 2-bunks for the kids, and 1-slide out. I’d really like to stay under 26’ and 5,000-pounds (600-lb tongue weight) if I can. We’re a family of 4 and plan to pull with our Toyota Tundra which, per the door sticker, suggests a combined carrying weight under 1,185-lb. Thank you in advance.

We need your help. My wife and I want a travel trailer but are unsure which one to get. We’d like something with a N-S facing bed, a U-shaped dinette, 2-bunks for the kids, and 1-slide out. I’d really like to stay under 26’ and 5,000-pounds (600-lb tongue weight) if I can. We’re a family of 4 and plan to pull with our Toyota Tundra which, per the door sticker, suggests a combined carrying weight under 1,185-lb. Thank you in advance.
We're looking at the Rockwood mini lites. You should give them a look. With your payload capacity, you should find one that fits your needs. They are nice trailers

Nice! I've heard those are awesome trailers! I think you'll be very happy with your choice.

Be sure to give your thoughts once you take delivery and post pictures?

We're looking at the Rockwood mini lites. You should give them a look. With your payload capacity, you should find one that fits your needs. They are nice trailers
We bought the 21 foot Rockwood Mini Lite last May. As we went through the lot from one manufacture to another, then went into the Rockwood, you could feel the huge difference in quality and soundness Features like an extra deep slide out, fold up Murphy bed, and built-in Wi-Fi enhancement are just a few of the top line features.Whether you go with the 21 foot model and have the kids sleep on the converted dinette, or a larger model with a second set of bunks, you will be very happy with the Rockwood quality.

WOW! 1185lbs cargo rating - 600 lbs tongue weight =585 lbs.
then 585 - 400 lbs {or 2 adults} = 185 lbs.
then 20 gal gas =126 lbs, thus 185 - 126 = 59 lbs.
One quickly approaches max cargo weight for the tow vehicle. I see no extra weight for kids and "stuff".

Some say the cargo rating includes a tank full of gas. Ok, that adds back 126 lbs.
So, to review the numbers: 1185 - 600 - 400 = 185 remaining for kids and "stuff".

As I stated earlier to one question, "it's not what you can tow, but what can you stop?" The trailer brakes will take care of stopping the trailer, but what about the tow vehicle and its contents? I've seen more than one rig combination slide into the intersection on a red light. Please review the numbers carefully. Of course, there are "safety factors" built into ratings, but still ?????? On the other hand, I'm sure there are lots of rigs on the road that are "overloaded" and they get by with it.

All those numbers apply to level ground, esp towing capacity. Everything changes when you are going up and down hills and over mountain passes. What size engine is your truck and gas or diesel?

2 good rules are to never go over 70-75% of your towing cap and be well aware of the weight ratio between your towing vehicle and the trailer. You do not want to be pushed down a hill and cause a jackknife which could be deadly.

To give you an idea what you can get that is under 5,000 lbs, we have a 21 ft Rockwood Mini Lite that has a space saving queen sized Murphy bed (it’s the way to go) and it is 4841 lbs and 641 lbs hitch weight. With an anti-sway hitch it moves weight forward and back and reduces hitch weight. We pull it with a Ram 1500 5.7L engine, 10,000 lb towing cap and it bogs down going over passes out here in ID. We are upgrading to a new 2500 6.4L 15,000 lb towing cap next week.
So to move up to a quality 25’ range adding bunk beds and stay under 5,000 lbs will be a challenge. If your kids are little they can sleep on the converted dinette bed.

So even though you may see people towing 25’ trailers with standard 1/2 ton pickups or large SUVs, many of them have dangerous weight ratios.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 2691E908-2F63-4CBA-B683-B02C38576ECD.jpeg
    2691E908-2F63-4CBA-B683-B02C38576ECD.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Good advice here.

All those numbers apply to level ground, esp towing capacity. Everything changes when you are going up and down hills and over mountain passes. What size engine is your truck and gas or diesel?

2 good rules are to never go over 70-75% of your towing cap and be well aware of the weight ratio between your towing vehicle and the trailer. You do not want to be pushed down a hill and cause a jackknife which could be deadly.

To give you an idea what you can get that is under 5,000 lbs, we have a 21 ft Rockwood Mini Lite that has a space saving queen sized Murphy bed (it’s the way to go) and it is 4841 lbs and 641 lbs hitch weight. With an anti-sway hitch it moves weight forward and back and reduces hitch weight. We pull it with a Ram 1500 5.7L engine, 10,000 lb towing cap and it bogs down going over passes out here in ID. We are upgrading to a new 2500 6.4L 15,000 lb towing cap next week.
So to move up to a quality 25’ range adding bunk beds and stay under 5,000 lbs will be a challenge. If your kids are little they can sleep on the converted dinette bed.

So even though you may see people towing 25’ trailers with standard 1/2 ton pickups or large SUVs, many of them have dangerous weight ratios.

Good luck!
We have a 25' trailer by model, but from the rear bumper to hitch ball is 30' 6". I had to "do the math" based on published numbers. That goes for the trailer and for the truck/tow. Just read the manufactures label on the vehicle and on the trailer. It is required by law to be so noted.

As one fellow told me........."better 100% than 110%"

Latest resources

Back