Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Need help to determine what camper I have (sound strange)? :-)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Toppkatt

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
??? Unknown ??? Wish I knew.
RV Model
Charlotte
RV Length
16' Travel Trailer
Chassis
single axel
Engine
None
TOW/TOAD
3000 Lb GVW
Fulltimer
No
Okay, here goes, I didn't know where else to post this query. I recently purchased a 1972 16" travel trailer. All the external tags are so worn as to be unidentifiable. I purchased the trailer from a person in PA, who had owned it for about 2 1/2 years and they had purchased it from a person in MD. The best I can see is it was manufactured by Anderson in Ind. and the model is Charlotte written on the fiberglass shield covering the front window.
camper.jpg

Topp; Realistically, unless you're doing a full-blown resto, what does it matter to know those details about your recent purchase? (Well, maybe for registration purposes.) These days, anything that's in that camper can be fairly easily replaced and upgraded at the same time, with new parts. The water pump, water heater, stovetop and furnace.....all of it.
That rooftop A/C unit, for example, most likely is an additon done at some later date, rather than being a factory installed option.

That being said, have you investigated every little space in the interior? I've seen some older campers with what I would call a "build sheet" glued to the inside door of one of the cabinets, or maybe an access panel.

Good luck.....Roger

Topp; Realistically, unless you're doing a full-blown resto, what does it matter to know those details about your recent purchase? (Well, maybe for registration purposes.) These days, anything that's in that camper can be fairly easily replaced and upgraded at the same time, with new parts. The water pump, water heater, stovetop and furnace.....all of it.
That rooftop A/C unit, for example, most likely is an additon done at some later date, rather than being a factory installed option.

That being said, have you investigated every little space in the interior? I've seen some older campers with what I would call a "build sheet" glued to the inside door of one of the cabinets, or maybe an access panel.

Good luck.....Roger
I just am OCD enough to want to know and see if I can find what was original kit and what was added. I know the refrigerator was replaced (and it might be again :)) and am pretty sure your assessment of the Heat/ A/C unit on the roof is correct. That said It would just be 'fun' to know something about the manufacturer. How long were they in business, how many models did they make, etc.
Registration purposes might raise it's head in the future. The exterior tags are so weathered as to be virtually illegible unless one is a forensics technician.
Thanks for responding, I appreciate your perspective. I will be on the lookout for a 'build sheet', though 50 years removed from the build and renovations having been done it may have been removed, but I'm sure there must be some nook or cranny I haven't opened yet.
A friend of mine wanted to know why I was so vested in making sure the oven worked; well to be honest, just so I'd know. I doubt I'll ever even use it, but I now know it works. LOL.

I just am OCD enough to want to know and see if I can find what was original kit and what was added.

OK.....that's fair. I have some of that, too.
You might want to search for enthusiast forums catering to the brand/model. I located a 13-foot, '73 Trailblazer for my daughter to convert into a vending trailer. Needed to locate the VIN in order to get an abandoned vehicle title for it. Found a group on facebook with information enough that I got things in order.
There might be enough original equipment to help on the identification, if you find a group to join.

Roger

Latest resources

Back