• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Need some advice on solar

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
If you are trying to set up solar to avoid buying gas for an on-board generator (a/c use) then you are probably wasting a ton of money. It will be interesting to hear some of the estimates you get for attempting to set this all up.

My Daughter went off grid this year in FL. Her 8000 of solar did very well but on the first stretch of hot humid days she lamented on how her battery bank had suffered and never made it back up to full charge. She asked if I thought they should go to the back-up to allow the batteries to recover.

We are all in agreement here. Solar can be expensive in comparison to other kinds of equipment. We also can't realistically install on an RV enough solar to cool our rig. I installed(as a portable unit) swamp cooler, you know the expensive type made of plastic in my MH while I was fixed in one location. I spent most of my life in AZ using such contraptions and although uncomfortable they keep you alive. This unit ran on the 1250 of solar and kept the fridge going without problems.

The biggest Thing you can do when installing solar is decide what you can do without. The options for off grid are as @FL-JOE brought up. Fuel for the genny. The genny is cheap under a grand will get you into one that will run the A/C. Here is my story:

I was having a hard time accepting the fuel thing because the price per gal had reached 3.50, and was expected to rise to well over 5 at the time. At 3 a gal I was burning 1 gal a day with swamp cooler. Monthly electric bill? 300 a mo. Pricing panels I could at the time buy 1250 w for 800 and considered all things minus the battery bank as I already had them (not enough). My 4x6v bank was to little for the job, but the cooler would run during the day. In the day AGM's were in the future. 400 Ah at 12v, my system 200Ah at 24v to lower cost of system.

I learned to sweat again(swamp cooler).

Question: How long will it take to pay for the system with gas not spent?
How can you lower the cost of the system?
How long will the system be viable with "the Dimming" (a reference to a YouTube video)?

If you want to go from scratch as @Gronk states with Lithium, I will add you should look into LTO batteries. Much of his info above is spot on so listen. Because you can't have a system on an RV that can keep up completely, a backup will fill the void.

Answers:
1. The above system took me 6 mos to pay for in gas dollars not spent. Did the work DIY.
2. DIY using used panels. A place in Gilbert AZ called San Tan solar sells used panels that I use and pick-up for others. last price 50 for 250.
3. hummmm depends if we can stop them.

I don’t look at Solar v. Generator as a thing...

Instead of contemplating which is more cost effective...ask yourself —- Do you want system diversity? Do you want system redundancy?

I had an interior screw come loose in my Onan QD8000. According to the mechanic that finally fixed it...the screw would get sucked up into the Governor, and confuse the speed control...causing it to immediately shut down. So...a legend in the industry...Onan...can fail too. To be honest...solar Systems are worthy of being called reliable. You do have to take into consideration where the sun is...but it’s something that just keeps going and going.

So instead of either or...I think having both gives me more choices. More options to pick...especially if one system encounters a breakdown.

I sure wouldn’t rip my generator out...just because I added solar AND I don’t short change the value of the Solar, just because I have a generator. They both add value...diversity...redundancy. It’s a good thing.

I don’t look at Solar v. Generator as a thing...

Instead of contemplating which is more cost effective...ask yourself —- Do you want system diversity? Do you want system redundancy?

I had an interior screw come loose in my Onan QD8000. According to the mechanic that finally fixed it...the screw would get sucked up into the Governor, and confuse the speed control...causing it to immediately shut down. So...a legend in the industry...Onan...can fail too. To be honest...solar Systems are worthy of being called reliable. You do have to take into consideration where the sun is...but it’s something that just keeps going and going.

So instead of either or...I think having both gives me more choices. More options to pick...especially if one system encounters a breakdown.

I sure wouldn’t rip my generator out...just because I added solar AND I don’t short change the value of the Solar, just because I have a generator. They both add value...diversity...redundancy. It’s a good thing.
hear hear!

A solar generator is nothing more than an inverter, battery, and small panels. I too reside in AZ. My comfort comes by following the temperatures. From Yuma to sedona area, to flagstaff area to white mountains in the heat of summer then back down as the temps change. Daytime use of a 7000btu A/C can happen but not night time. If you try, your charge time will not catch up and you will be left with less power every day you do try.

So what part of AZ?
I'm in Prescott, so not terrible compared to Phoenix area. So the A/C isn't NECESSARY - But I appreciate all the feedback you all have given so far, I'm learning a bit.

Latest resources

Back