• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Need to Buy First Hitch

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The last 2 new travel trailers I bought the hitch was thrown in as part of the deal.

I'm from a different school. The side of the tracks I guess no one wants to admitted they grew up on.
But one thing I know. I don't have to throw money around to be safe.

Curt makes a good product. But the weak link is what will give you problems. Let me explain.

A 10000# ball carier will safely tow 10000# trailer. If the receiver will only tow 7000# . If the ball will only pull 7500# the setup will only pull 7000#. The ball carier will not have a problem hauling 7000# even if it was designed for 10000#.

Although the spring bars maybe oversized they can be adjusted for the trailer weight you tow with little change in handling.

I would buy a hitch designed for 10000# the spring bars that come with it will likely work well for whatever you pull. However if you need lower rated springs you can buy them later without replacing the entire hitch. Oh heck, not that I would, I did buy a 10000# hitch. Guess what, the spring bars work just fine with my cargo trailer that weights in under 5000#. The key to setting up your rig is to keep everything parallel to the ground, it's not rocket science, more like common sense.

So to expound on what I said:
From tow vehicle to the ball all equipment should be designed for the maximum you want to tow ,EVER!

You should not ask your tow vehicle to tow for long periods of time more than 80% of the manufacturers tow capacity (10000 maximum =8000 maximum for any distance).

Tip:

If you buy a ball from Uhaul they will install the ball so you will not have to buy a wrench. They will not install a ball that has to low a rating. They will get the bolt tight so it won't come loose.
I have never seen a travel trailer with anything less than a 2 5/16 ball so even the ball can be reused between camping trips.

I'm from a different school. The side of the tracks I guess no one wants to admitted they grew up on.
But one thing I know. I don't have to throw money around to be safe.

Curt makes a good product. But the weak link is what will give you problems. Let me explain.

A 10000# ball carier will safely tow 10000# trailer. If the receiver will only tow 7000# . If the ball will only pull 7500# the setup will only pull 7000#. The ball carier will not have a problem hauling 7000# even if it was designed for 10000#.

Although the spring bars maybe oversized they can be adjusted for the trailer weight you tow with little change in handling.

I would buy a hitch designed for 10000# the spring bars that come with it will likely work well for whatever you pull. However if you need lower rated springs you can buy them later without replacing the entire hitch. Oh heck, not that I would, I did buy a 10000# hitch. Guess what, the spring bars work just fine with my cargo trailer that weights in under 5000#. The key to setting up your rig is to keep everything parallel to the ground, it's not rocket science, more like common sense.

So to expound on what I said:
From tow vehicle to the ball all equipment should be designed for the maximum you want to tow ,EVER!

You should not ask your tow vehicle to tow for long periods of time more than 80% of the manufacturers tow capacity (10000 maximum =8000 maximum for any distance).

Tip:

If you buy a ball from Uhaul they will install the ball so you will not have to buy a wrench. They will not install a ball that has to low a rating. They will get the bolt tight so it won't come loose.
I have never seen a travel trailer with anything less than a 2 5/16 ball so even the ball can be reused between camping trips.
A ball from Uhaul? Who knew? I didn't. Thank you! This is all good info and we were looking at Curt contraption that said 8000 to 10,000 pounds. I assume that means they really intend it to pull up to the limit. Thank you for all the advice. Best wishes!

A ball from Uhaul? Who knew? I didn't. Thank you! This is all good info and we were looking at Curt contraption that said 8000 to 10,000 pounds. I assume that means they really intend it to pull up to the limit. Thank you for all the advice. Best wishes!
The hitch is rated for 10000# and the spring bars work best between 8000# and 10000# is how I interpret your numbers.

So you know, I think that the curt and harbor freight wdh are name plate branded China sourced hitches.
I didn't say they are bad or I would not own one.

One more thing! I like the saying " an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure " in this case it is a two edge sword. If you take caution with loading your rig you will not need sway control.
If you have loaded wrong sway control will do no good.
I won't use sway bars because I feel (justified or not), the device stresses the tow vehicles frame in ways it was not designed to handle. Do your own research.

The hitch is rated for 10000# and the spring bars work best between 8000# and 10000# is how I interpret your numbers.

So you know, I think that the curt and harbor freight wdh are name plate branded China sourced hitches.
I didn't say they are bad or I would not own one.

One more thing! I like the saying " an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure " in this case it is a two edge sword. If you take caution with loading your rig you will not need sway control.
If you have loaded wrong sway control will do no good.
I won't use sway bars because I feel (justified or not), the device stresses the tow vehicles frame in ways it was not designed to handle. Do your own research.
Again, thank you for the info. All very helpful.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back