Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Flyzone13!

RVF Newbee
My wife and I just full time RV’ing and need to upgrade our battery/charging set-up. Currently I have a couple of 12volt deep cycle batteries running only 12 volt lights and such. I would like to upgrade to so I can use the TV and other 120 services. We do a lot of boondocking and not always near shore power. I have a good 4500/3500 generator so that can be used when needed. Can someone point me in a general direction please?

Welcome from Wisconsin! Wish I could help, but not very knowledgeable with electrical systems. Others will be along with good advice.

My wife and I just full time RV’ing and need to upgrade our battery/charging set-up. Currently I have a couple of 12volt deep cycle batteries running only 12 volt lights and such. I would like to upgrade to so I can use the TV and other 120 services. We do a lot of boondocking and not always near shore power. I have a good 4500/3500 generator so that can be used when needed. Can someone point me in a general direction please?
Solar will definitely help. Anything less than 500w will prove disappointing. MPPT controllers are one of the keys to a sound system. Used panels really do a fine job making 500w cheap. The greatest expense will be a low frequency low voltage true sine wave inverter. They have a 10 year design life, others don't. I am partial to AGM batteries. Lithium is not one of my choices, could explain why but do your own research. include positive and negative experiences, you will find both.

choose the panel first, then find the controller that works with them, then buy the controller (remember the 80% rule). You can use 10awg wire to 500w but my choice is 6awg. The most power that would come from 500w would be 42amps but that number is unlikely, so the 6awg will do the job from controller to battery connection. Brake the wires from the panels and the battery. Fuses should be very close to the batteries.
I think you will likely find an outback controller easier than the one I use because of the times. I am glad that all the equipment needed by my system was purchased over 2 years ago.

I just bought and installed the Rich 400 watt solar set up. It comes with two 200 watt panels, mppt controller, bluetooth interface and all wiring. I love it! It is the same components as their 800 watt system so I can add two more 200 watt panel when I want. Rich has gotten good reviews online. The mppt is the same controller as Renogy (just rebranded). I paid about $700 total for the 400 watt set up.

I didn't want four 100 watt panels so this works out great.

As far as the inverter goes...our trailer has a Xantrex 2000w inverter that was installed by the previous owner. This works great with the solar. I will be added 400 more watts next summer though to get to 800.

Latest resources

Back