• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question New class A buyer...I think ?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Wait! Wait! I can answer that one! First, welcome! I ordered my coach, having never been in one other than at the Tampa Supershow and picked it up at the factory. They taught me how to drive and use the coach. I took lots of notes, laminated cards and off I went. You can meet up with an instructor through the RV Driving School to build up confidence. If I can do it, ya'll can. No problem. I will pass on words of wisdom from my Uncle. He said a lot of truckers have G O A L on their windshield. It means "Get Out And Look." This will save you. Maybe you get out and look a lot, but that is much better than the alternative. Another thing that has saved me is the one and only thing, I got out of taking a driving course - KEEP LEFT. Drive the center line. There are too many things to the right like trees, signs that stick out, etc. that can scratch your sidewall. Oh and look UP too! Good luck in your search!
Hey Renee, thanks for all of the valuable info.

Jeff & Kathy:

We are on our second Newmar. Our first was a 2014 Ventana LE 3436 purchased very slightly used (3000 miles on it). It was a great "learning coach" and we had very few issues with it...except the need for a bit more space. Our current 2018 Mountain Aire 4047 was ordered new with the options and "specials" we chose. It, too, has had very few issues.

As for learning to drive the 40-footer, it was never an issue for either one of us. We had previously pulled a 35' 5th wheel with a Ford F-350 and driven a 25' Class C before moving to the Class A coaches. LadyDi drives the Mountain Aire as much as I do and is quite competent in doing so. The only difference we have found between the smaller coaches and the longer ones is that you need to be aware of your extra length when completing a passing maneuver or making sharp turns on narrow streets/roads.

I think you will find that Newmar's Comfort Drive makes a huge difference in how comfortable you are behind the wheel. If you have any concerns about driving the longer coach, there are a number of excellent RV driving courses available to help build your confidence level. We simply haven't found it to be an issue.

TJ

Last edited:
Since I getting up in age one of my top priorities is a comfortable place to sit and seems that RV manufacturers don't have comfort high on their list. Sitting at booth or couch with a straight back is not comfortable except for short periods of time.
Second is TV placement. On those rainy days that we stay in, I want the TV across from me, not 90 degrees.
How big is another question and I see this way. If you want state parks you needed to get the smallest one you are comfortable with. Not saying you can't find spot for 45 foot coach but easier finding one for 30 footer in state parks. If you like us and don't really care about state parks and use the coach more like hotel room and explore during the day and enjoy the large coach with all the luxury then 40 plus foot one might be the way to go.
If you plan and see the USA diesel would be better if you staying close to home the gas would fine. Not saying you can't travel the USA in gas coach but you find the diesel coaches are preferred by most. Diesel coaches are more expensive to maintain and my yearly check-up with oil change, torques, mag plugs check, lube and fluid samples runs me 800 bucks.
You could write an entire book on this subject those couple of my top points.

Not hard for me to learn to drive at all, self taught. Had a 27ft gas coach, now a 35ft diesel. Just the 2 of us. If you’re uncomfortable teaching yourself, I recommend an RV driving course, as others have suggested.

Thank you Neal, that’s how we are feeling right now. Did you impulse buy a new class A?

I impulse ordered a 2017 Newmar Ventana 4037. My first RV ever. Totally insane I'd admit but it worked out nice. I'm in it as I type :) Loving it!

I’ve had several travel trailers, 5th wheels, and now a class A. Mines 2011 Hurricane V10 gas. TJ is correct. Floor Plan is important. At 65 yrs old it just me and the wife, were not full timers so diesel was not cost effective, but our gas works great. Think about how you would use it to try and figure your floor plan. Example in our case we went with more of a lounging plan so we did away with a booth and went with a nice big reclining couch with dinner trays. It works for us, but maybe no for others. Good luck and welcome.

Hi, @Jeff&Kathy! Welcome to RV Forum. Some great, knowledgeable, & friendly folks here; & they will be glad to help you!

Our first venture into a Class "A" started with a fantastic. super maintained, 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire. A 38' gas coach with beautiful appointments, & was the just the right vehicle for us to learn about the RV World. After 7 months, we knew we wanted a new coach.

There was a lot of research about models, floor plans, gas vs. diesel, interior appointments, price, etc. Canyon Star, Ventana, Dutch Star; all fantastic coaches!
The final decision for us was to order a 2020 Newmar Canyon Star "3710" gas coach. It also is a 38' coach, and the ideal size & floor plan for us. The decision was based on usage, time on the road each year; weighed against the significant & substantial added cost of a diesel, & in my mind I couldn't justify the expense for a coach we will probably keep about 5-8 years.

Like "BGMAC", it's just the two of us, so we opted for theater seating, a fireplace (which we love), a Euro Dinette, which has proven to be a favorite spot for Marilyn, she stretches out, as if it were a "chaise"!? And a comfortable king size bed, with a bath & 1/2. Another feature we would not be without, after having it!
So, floor plans are extremely important, & get one you will be happy with, as together, you will spend significant time in it during your travels!

Most of all, enjoy the process, make the decisions that are best for you, then enjoy the wonderful "RV World", and all the great people you will meet in your travels!

Good Luck! Have Fun!

Welcome Jeff & Kathy! We were never "campers" while raising our family. Once retired we decided to dive right into full timing. After several months of looking at 5th wheels and class A's and trying to narrow down a floor plan we decided on a 38' fiver. It worked really good for almost 4 years of full time traveling and didn't cost us an arm and a leg.

We bought a home in Florida but after a couple year missed the full time traveling so we sold out again. This time around the toad(s) is what made us decide on a class A instead of a fiver. We wanted something smaller than a 1-ton truck to drive around in plus I missed having my Harley.

Full time or part time, class A, class C or fiver, any RV requires a lot of maintenance and upkeep. I estimate that I spend 4 to 8 hours a week cleaning or doing general simple maintenance on mine.

We are coming up on 3 years being back on the road full time. There is nothing like it and we enjoy every day!

I can certainly understand about wanting something smaller than a 1 ton truck to drive around in. I remember on our very first outing in our old motorhome we met a couple who is staying in our area for three months for a job they had a fifth wheel. But they rented a small car during those three months because it was evidently cheaper than driving the big truck. (They said they get 6-7miles per gallon and we were getting 8-10 on our 36 foot motorhome!)
It might be unfortunate that our first RV was a diesel motorhome because now we can’t think of anything else we want. I’m trying to find a 35 feet-footer, but the floor plans I have seen sacrifice the wrong things to lose that 1 foot. ( potty, shower, sink in one tiny cubby, ugh) ? but giant dinette booth. ??)

Wow @bpaikman, when I had a 36ft 5th wheel and a Ford 350 dually 4 door I reprogrammed the computer and got 10mpg towing @65mph and 16mpg not towing.

Latest resources

Back