RV Year
RV Make
Thor
RV Model
Palazzo
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee
We have just started having the ( rv conversation), we are about 3 days into absorbing way too much information. We decided to take a break and listen to what everyone had to say. We are looking forward to hear everyone’s thoughts and ideas.
Sincerly
J&K

Welcome to RVForums @Jeff & Kathy. I got mine on impulse, couldn't have made a better decision. I say go for it :)

A few more details, we are a 60 year old retired couple and will be the only ones using it. Thank you in advance!

Welcome to RVForums. Purchasing a RV can be an exciting time. How much do you anticipate using per year?

Welcome to RVForums. Purchasing a RV can be an exciting time. How much do you anticipate using per year?
Thanks Bill & Lisa, It has been exciting so far, we are thinking about a 4 months a year.
Regards
J&K

We bought a six-year-old Diesel in 2012 and absolutely loved it for 5 years. However we were only using it a few weeks of the year and finally decided it was not worth paying the insurance and storage at that time in our lives. If you will be traveling at least four months it’s worth it !. But expense is always more than you think.
I am researching for our next motorhome that we probably will purchase in the next year, and then we plan to travel at least several months of the year. We do plan to move around , not too much, but we don’t plan to sit for months at a time. For traveling, I recommend a motorhome. We could stop for lunch in pouring rain, or pull into a campsite in the pouring rain and not even get out until it stopped raining. For parking for months at a time, probably a fifth wheel. For weekends at the lake, or bad knees...travel trailer. We do have some friends with bad knees that bought a travel trailer and travel for weeks at a time and love it. To each his own!

Welcome to RVF, @Jeff & Kathy; we're glad to have you here. Lots of good folks on this forum, and lots of RV knowledge.

From my perspective, the three main things for a new RV purchaser to consider are (1) floor plan, (2) floor plan and (3) floor plan. Seriously, take a careful look at the kind of traveling you will do (short trips, longer trips, full-time living) and determine what floor plan would work best for you. You will spend significant time in your RV and it needs to work for your kind of living.

Look at LOTS or RVs before making a decision. The more, different, RVs you see, the easier it will be for you to narrow down your choices in the end. Keep lists of what features you like and don't like in each model. Doing your homework will pay off!

Budget is an important consideration too. Diesel Class As can get pretty pricey at the high end, but there are lots of affordable units out there too. Just be sure that you buy a reputable brand with a track record for good quality and customer service. And, don't overlook the pre-owned market. A well-kept Class A coach that is 2-5 years old will still have a lot of use left in it. Diesel engines are just getting broken in at 30K miles and are designed to run for a million miles!

Good luck with whatever you decide. Come back with your questions and we'll do our best to answer them.

TJ

Welcome to RVF, @Jeff & Kathy; we're glad to have you here. Lots of good folks on this forum, and lots of RV knowledge.

From my perspective, the three main things for a new RV purchaser to consider are (1) floor plan, (2) floor plan and (3) floor plan. Seriously, take a careful look at the kind of traveling you will do (short trips, longer trips, full-time living) and determine what floor plan would work best for you. You will spend significant time in your RV and it needs to work for your kind of living.

Look at LOTS or RVs before making a decision. The more, different, RVs you see, the easier it will be for you to narrow down your choices in the end. Keep lists of what features you like and don't like in each model. Doing your homework will pay off!

Budget is an important consideration too. Diesel Class As can get pretty pricey at the high end, but there are lots of affordable units out there too. Just be sure that you buy a reputable brand with a track record for good quality and customer service. And, don't overlook the pre-owned market. A well-kept Class A coach that is 2-5 years old will still have a lot of use left in it. Diesel engines are just getting broken in at 30K miles and are designed to run for a million miles!

Good luck with whatever you decide. Come back with your questions and we'll do our best to answer them.

TJ
Hello Jim and Diane, thank you for your comment, they are much appreciate. We also like the Newmar brand, was it challenging Learning to drive the 40 footer? Did you buy new or used?
Regards
J&K

We also like the Newmar brand, was it challenging Learning to drive the 40 footer?
Wait! Wait! I can answer that one! First, welcome! I ordered my coach, having never been in one other than at the Tampa Supershow and picked it up at the factory. They taught me how to drive and use the coach. I took lots of notes, laminated cards and off I went. You can meet up with an instructor through the RV Driving School to build up confidence. If I can do it, ya'll can. No problem. I will pass on words of wisdom from my Uncle. He said a lot of truckers have G O A L on their windshield. It means "Get Out And Look." This will save you. Maybe you get out and look a lot, but that is much better than the alternative. Another thing that has saved me is the one and only thing, I got out of taking a driving course - KEEP LEFT. Drive the center line. There are too many things to the right like trees, signs that stick out, etc. that can scratch your sidewall. Oh and look UP too! Good luck in your search!

Latest resources

Back