Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Fulltimer
No
New to the Jeep world, and I need your help for those of you that have been towing your Gladiator. On page 263 of the owner’s manual it says to disconnect negative battery cable. Now when I turn the page (265) to start the shifting into Neutral steps there is no mention of disconnecting the negative battery cable. So you all who have been flat towing the Gladiator would you please give me your procedure. Tips would also be helpfulI. If the battery cable needs to be disconnected why? I called Jeep Customer Care and they were no help. They told me all they do is read from the manual! I can do that. Thanks for your help!
April

I am also interested as we just traded our JK in on a new Gladiator a few days ago. From what I have read on every forum I have scoured, you do not need to disconnect the battery cable. It should be just like setting up the previous 2016 JK. Transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, take the key out.
Waiting for the Maximus 3 tow bar mounts to arrive. I will be using the RVi3 brake I had in the JK and the battery direct constant power 12v outlet for it.
Let me know what you find out as well. Happy Jeep trucking!

I don’t disconnect my battery cable...I have the Stay N Play Duo braking system & there is a small black box in the footwell that’s I switch to go into tow mode. It‘s possible that it disconnects the battery, but I had it installed, so don’t know for sure.

But...I am having a lot of trouble shifting the transfer case out of neutral into 2WD after towing...this is the procedure I’m following...an I missing something? It’s also hard sometimes to get it into neutral, too. I was going to take it in to the dealer, but then quarantine. I feel like it should not be this hard to move between during modes.

UNLOCK JEEP
SET PARKING BRAKE
START ENGINE
PRESS & HOLD BRAKE PEDAL
SHIFT TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL
TURN OFF ENGINE
SHIFT TRANSFER CASE INTO 2WD
SHIFT TRANSMISSION INTO PARK
RELEASE THE BRAKE PEDAL
MOVE BRAKE SWITCH TO LEFT

@Akdare is there any writing on your black box that you switch for your brake? Curious as to what it is? I have been told by other JK owners that it is very hard to sift until you get more miles on it. When picking mine up at dealer he had me put it in 4 wheel drive, and that was very hard shifting. Hope we get more responses.

I am also interested as we just traded our JK in on a new Gladiator a few days ago. From what I have read on every forum I have scoured, you do not need to disconnect the battery cable. It should be just like setting up the previous 2016 JK. Transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, take the key out.
Waiting for the Maximus 3 tow bar mounts to arrive. I will be using the RVi3 brake I had in the JK and the battery direct constant power 12v outlet for it.
Let me know what you find out as well. Happy Jeep trucking!

No key. Push button to start. As for your outlet for your braking system how are you going to wire it for constant hot?
Congratulation on your new Gladiator! If you ordered it Jeep puts your name on your window sticker. Built especially for: your name. Pretty cool!

Been towing a Gladiator for 1 year with no issues. I just follow the instructions in the manual. No dead battery and I use the M& G braking system

No key. Push button to start. As for your outlet for your braking system how are you going to wire it for constant hot?
Congratulation on your new Gladiator! If you ordered it Jeep puts your name on your window sticker. Built especially for: your name. Pretty cool!
Should of said key fob!
The constant hot outlet I bought off the RVi website with my braking system. It was easy to wire on the JK through a grommet hole in the firewall. I see the Gladiator has a hole in about the same place. That is where I fish through the breakaway wire also. I zip tied the outlet just under the dash by the drivers door to power the brake system. Easy to reach standing outside the Jeep.
I didn't order it, was just eyeballing this white one on the local dealers lot for a few weeks. I'm pretty happy with it, but it sure is big compared to the other Jeeps I have owned. But, my days of winching up the side of cliffs are over!

Should of said key fob!
The constant hot outlet I bought off the RVi website with my braking system. It was easy to wire on the JK through a grommet hole in the firewall. I see the Gladiator has a hole in about the same place. That is where I fish through the breakaway wire also. I zip tied the outlet just under the dash by the drivers door to power the brake system. Easy to reach standing outside the Jeep.
I didn't order it, was just eyeballing this white one on the local dealers lot for a few weeks. I'm pretty happy with it, but it sure is big compared to the other Jeeps I have owned. But, my days of winching up the side of cliffs are over!
Thank you, information is very much appreciated! Ous is white as well and love it to!

Been towing a Gladiator for 1 year with no issues. I just follow the instructions in the manual. No dead battery and I use the M& G braking system
So no disconnecting the negative battery cable if I understand you completely?

I have a 2020 Rubicon and never have disconnected the battery. Here are the steps I use to put my transfer case in neutral.
1. Start Engine
2, Move the shift lever to Neutral
3. Move Transfer case to Neutral
4. Move the shift lever to park (never leave the shift lever in neutral)
5. Shut Off engine (Yes I forgot this step once)
Reversed to take it out neutral.
To my surprise, there isn't a connection in the center console that remains hot for my Blue Ox braking system. I wired straight from the battery and have left my Blue Ox braking system active for upto 72 hours without any problems.

Latest resources

Back