• Commercial/Vendors welcome

New Gladiator Procedure to flat tow

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Wonderful! Thank you for your procedure.

The procedure seems almost the same for my previous 2 Wranglers. 2004 & 2016. Both were automatics, and the manual clearly expressed not to put the transmission in park with the transfer case in neutral, while the engine is running. Turn it off just before you shift into park after your "no movement" verification.

April, I do not disconnect the negative battery cable. Before I got the M&G braking system I used the Blue Ox brake and did not disconnect the negative battery cable. I did have an issue between the Blue Ox and the Gladiator battery. The Gladiator battery only read 11.8 volts instead of 12+ volts. Blue Ox brake would not operate at 11.8 volts. I had to run a 12 volt line from the motorhome to the Blue Ox brake. Guess cheap batteries in the Gladiator, but never have I had an issue with starting.

Isn't that supposed to be Shift Transfer Case Into Neutral? Or perhaps that line should be left out completely?
This is for unhooking the toad...

No worries! I understood that part.
HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO ALL THE FATHER'S OUT THERE!!!

Well we just finished our first test run all hooked up! With a little tip from a friend shifting the transfer case in and out of Neutral was easy. Hope it stay's that way! The tip was as you do the shift both ways as you are shutting the Gladiator off shift the transfer case at the same time. Now if I do this correctly I'm going to attach my cheat sheet so all you have to do is copy it fold it in half laminate it and you have both procedures very easy at your fingertips. Thanks everyone for all your input! :) Safe travels my friends!

Attachments

• Flat Towing Gladiator.docx
    8.4 KB · Views: 174
I not sure why you have to shut the engine off to put the transfer case in neutral. I shift from 2-wheel to 4-wheel high to 4-wheel low without shutting off the engine. When shifting into 4-wheel low I always pause at neutral before completing the shift. I guess I'm going to put shutting off the engine in the same text as disconnecting the battery cable.

Just going by my manual.

Jeep Cares just reads the manual and won't tell you anything different. My 2017 Wrangler had a plugin in the center console that the manual stated was for supplemental braking and was hot all the time but on another page it said to disconnect the battery cable. I called Jeep Cares and they told me that disconnecting the negative battery cable did not affect plug since it was wired directly to the battery and would remain hot even with the negitve cable disconnected. I test it and it didn't stay hot. Then I talk to the Jeep service manager at our local Jeep dealer and he laugh and said that when the Jeep and steering wheel lock you had to put the key in and turn to run to unlock the steering wheel and to prevent the battery from running down you had to disconnect the negitive battery cable. He also said he counldn't offically tell me not to.
My Jeep Rubicon Limited is very hard to shift from 2-high to netrual with the engine off by I can shift from 2-high to netrual with 2 fingers when the engine running.

Latest resources

Back